Aggie baseball defeats Texas Tech in game two of series, 7-2

The No. 9 Texas A&M baseball team used a historic performance from senior pitcher Ross Stripling and quartet of long balls to eventually seal the 7-2 victory over Texas Tech.
Im real proud of our team, Childress said. Every time they scored today, we answered back. Ross settled in and had an amazing performance, as good as hes had all year long.
The game in which the thermometer reached upwards of 95 degrees began ominously when Tech lead off batter Jamodrick McGruder drilled a pitch into Striplings chest. The ball, which ricocheted toward first as McGruder took the base cleanly, left the Aggie pitcher bruised and winded.
Childress said that his All-American displayed an awful lot of toughness in dealing with the early-inning scare as well as the heat.
Hes in great shape and hes a grinder, Childress said. Im glad hes on my team. Theres no way I couldve gone eight innings today, Ill guarantee you.
The Southlake, Texas, native lasted eight innings and struck out 13 batters, a career-high. He also joined Casey Fossum (1997-99), Jeff Granger (1991-93), and junior Michael Wacha (2009-present) as the only players in school history to notch 300 career strikeouts.
Thats a great list to be on, Stripling said, But thats something Ill look back on in five or ten years. Right now were just trying to make a run through the postseason. As I climb up some Aggie leaderboards and what not Ill look back and think how great it is, but right now were just taking it one game at a time like we always do.
As Stripling led the way on the mound, a fellow senior took initiative at the plate for the home team. First baseman Jacob House sent a pair of pitches over the outfield wall and was joined in the home run column by sophomore left fielder Brandon Wood and sophomore center fielder Krey Bratsen.
We got some big hits today, Childress said. Thats not our offense, hasnt been all year long, but we do have power in our lineup.
Houses two-run first inning bomb gave the Aggies a 2-1 lead, and Bratsen knocked a two-run score in the second by pulling a pitch over the left field wall for his first career home run.
As a little kid, you always want to be the guy to hit the home run, Bratsen said. I hadnt done it at all last year so the pressure was kicking in a little bit. I was glad. Its something Ive always wanted to do.
The local product from Bryan High School went 1-for-3 from the plate and scored two runs for the Aggies in one of his best recent performances.
The last couple of games Ive been struggling, Bratsen said. It was great to finally get a hit again. Ive hit a lot of balls hard sometimes lately right at somebody and I couldnt catch a break. I had to hit one over to get a break and it worked out perfectlytheres nobody over the fence [to potentially catch the ball].
Woods rope over the wall in left-center gave the Aggies a 6-2 advantage after four innings of work, and House tacked on the insurance run in the fifth for his team-leading 7th home run of the season. The scoreboard would not change after Houses contribution, and freshman reliever Corey Ray threw a scoreless ninth to secure the series win.
The Aggies will sport their camouflage jerseys Sunday as they seek to sweep the Red Raiders. First pitch is at 1:05 p.m.