Aggie soccer advances with lopsided win

The Aggies celebrate en route to a 5-0 victory over HBU in the first round of the NCAA Tournament. Bryan Johson — THE BATTALION

The No. 5 Texas A&M soccer team scored early and often against the Houston Baptist Huskies (10-7-5), claiming a 5-0 victory in the opening round of the NCAA tournament.
Senior Kelley Monogue scored two goals within the first 11 minutes of play to give A&M an early 2-0 lead. Annie Kunz fired a pass to the left of HBU goalkeeper Patty Walrath which Monogue booted in between the bars in minute four.
Seven minutes later Monogue found the back of the net with another shot, this time assisted by Bianca Brinson to double the lead for A&M (19-2-2), a program playing in its 20th consecutive NCAA tournament.
Allie Bailey completed the first half scoring for the Aggies with a goal in the 24th minute, assisted by Kunz — her second of the night.
A&M held a 16-2 shot advantage in the first half which required Aggie goalkeeper Jordan Day to make just one save in the first 45 minutes.
Both teams entered the match on 10-game unbeaten streaks. HBU had eight victories and two ties during the span, A&M with nine wins as well as a tie.
The Huskies were the first women’s program in the history of the university to earn a trip to the NCAA tournament. By defeating HBU, A&M earns its 17th straight appearance in the second round of the NCAA tournament.
Brinson found the top left corner of the net in the 56th minute on a Shea Groom assist to bring the lead to 4-0. Minutes later, Groom scored a sliding goal of her own to improve the score to 5-0.
Walrath recorded a career-high 13 saves in the match for HBU. Overall, A&M held a 34-3 shot advantage, 19 of which were shots on goal. Karlie Mueller and Liz Keester led the way for A&M with five shots taken.
Seven aggies recorded three or more shots on the night for Texas A&M.
A&M will host Arizona on Nov. 18 after the Wildcats defeated Oklahoma State by a score of 1-0 to advance to the next round.