Aggie soccer claims SEC Championship on senior night

The regular-season concluded for the No. 7 Texas A&M Aggies Thursday night at Ellis Field, claiming an SEC Championship with a 2-1 victory over the Georgia Bulldogs (10-5-2, 5-4-2).
Senior forward Allie Bailey, playing in her last-ever home game, authored a goal in the 17th minute of play, assisted by Janae Cousineau to give A&M a 1-0 lead over the Bulldogs. It was one of 11 first half shots for A&M, met by seven shots from Georgia.
Two goals were waived off for A&M during the first half of play including a goal from Leigh Edwards that traveled from roughly 40 yards into the net just seconds after time expired. Bianca Brinson also saw a goal waved off.
A&M needed a victory to remain ahead of Florida in the SEC, and with a win claimed a conference championship for the program as well as a No. 1 seed in the conference tournament.
In the 52nd minute of their senior-night performance, Shea Groom scored on a Kelley Monogue assist to put the game away for the Maroon and White.
Annie Kunz, Renee McDermott and Meghan Streight also celebrated both a conference championship as well as senior night. Joining Jordan Day, Edwards, Bailey, Groom, Monogue and Brinson.
Georgia challenged in the 67th minute with a goal by Laura Eddy that cut the lead to 2-1, however the Bulldogs could not complete the comeback against the A&M defense.
Day recorded 3 saves on the night as the A&M goalkeeper, including a jumping save late in the second half to preserve a 2-1 lead. Louise Hogrell recorded four saves of her own for the Bulldogs.
A&M completes the regular season with a 15-2-2 record, 9-1-1 in conference play. It is the 11th consecutive 15-win season for head coach G Guerrieri and the program.
A&M begins the SEC Tournament on Wednesday in Orange Beach, Alabama as the number one seed.