Aggie soccer drops second straight SEC contest

Photo by Tim Lai

Haley Pounds had the lone goal for the Aggies in their loss to Georgia. 

The Texas A&M soccer team fell short to Georgia 2-1 on Sunday in Athens.

The No. 4 Aggies suffered their second loss in a row on what has proven to be a difficult SEC road trip. Despite having more opportunities and more possession, A&M could not find a way to come out with a victory.

The Bulldogs (2-7-1, 1-3 SEC) were outplayed by the Aggies but took their chances wisely. Georgia scored both goals off of corner kicks. They opened the scoring in the 26th minute after Lauren Tanner curved in her corner toward the goal. Grace Wright stopped the ball off the line preventing a goal but Marion Crowder volleyed home the rebound from Wright’s clearance.

The advantage doubled for Georgia in the 34th minute when Crowder this time whipped in a corner that found the head of Caroline Waters who guided the ball past freshman goalkeeper Mia Hummel.

The Aggies (9-3, 2-2 SEC) attempted to mount a comeback after forward Haley Pounds scored in the 61st minute from 15 yards out that handed the team a lifeline after being down 2-0. A&M had its chances throughout the game but just couldn’t score in the crucial moments. They outshot Georgia 21-13 but had trouble finding the target seven times, compared to Georgia’s eight.

Pounds scored her eighth goal of the season and remains the leading scorer for A&M. Mikaela Harvey and Ally Watt had five and three shots respectively but could not find a way to put them past Hogrell.

With 5 minutes remaining it looked as if Mikaela Harvey had equalized from long range but Hogrell made a diving save to preserve the win for Georgia. Hogrell finished the game with six saves.

A&M has never lost back to back games in the SEC and it’s the first time dropping two consecutively since 2008.
The Aggies will resume play at Ellis Field next Friday as they host the Mississippi State Bulldogs. Kick-off is scheduled for 7 p.m. and the match can be seen on the SEC Network+.

• Texas A&M Soccer

Photo by FILE