Aggie soccer set for weekend contests

Photo by Photo by Paul Burke

The Aggies could not get any shots to find the back of the net in Friday’s loss to Auburn to open SEC play.

The No. 10 Texas A&M soccer team will look to continue its undefeated season as the Aggies take on the Butler Bulldogs Friday at Ellis Field and the No. 19 Kansas Jayhawks on Sunday in Kansas.

The Aggies took care of DePaul in their last match 2-0 on Sunday to improve to 3-0-1. Butler comes into the match at 4-1-1, carrying a four-game winning streak in which they haven’t allowed a goal, and Kansas is 5-1 with a five-game win streak of their own.

Butler is led by freshman Caitlyn Disarcina and junior Paige Monaghan. Disarcina leads the team in goals scored with two, while Monaghan is second on the team in minutes played and leads the team in shots with 18.

“Butler are a really good side,” head coach G. Guerrieri said. “They tied Notre Dame at Notre Dame and beat Michigan State at Michigan State, so they’ll come in with confidence and they’re very organized in the way they play.”

Kansas is led by junior Grace Hagan and sophomore Sophie Maierhofer. Hagan leads the team in assists with three and is also second on the team with two goals scored, while Maierhofer leads the team with three goals on the year.

“Kansas is a team that we’re really familiar with,” Guerrieri said. “They know us really well and they know what we bring to the table and how we play, and we know they’re incredibly confident coming off of the huge win over USC on Sunday. I think this will be one of the toughest games of the season.”

The Aggies are led by freshman Jimena Lopez, sophomore Cienna Arrieta and junior goalkeeper Cosette Morche. Lopez, who scored in her first career game for the Aggies, leads the team with two goals and 384 minutes played. Arrieta leads the team in assists with two and Morche has given up just two goals this season with the help of her defense.

Kickoff is slated for 7 p.m. on Friday at Ellis Field and 1 p.m. on Sunday at Rock Chalk Park in Lawrence, Kansas.