Texas A&M infielder Rylen Wiggins (2) reacts during Texas A&M’s game against Texas at the Austin Super Regional at Red and Charline McCombs Field in Austin, Texas, on Sunday, May 26, 2024. (CJ Smith/The Battalion)
Aggies’ season ends with heartbreaking loss to Longhorns

Sharper play in the sixth innings of Texas A&M softball’s NCAA Super Regional series with No. 1 Texas may have been the difference between...

Aggie soccer suffers first SEC loss in Columbia

Photo By: Jena Floyd
Texas A&M Soccer

The South Carolina Gamecocks defeated Texas A&M in Columbia for its first win over the Aggies in program history Thursday night by a score of 2-1.

A last minute goal from Raina Johnson ensured the No. 17 Gamecocks the victory with a minute remaining. South Carolina trailed early but fought back to please their home crowd and put a halt to A&M’s undefeated SEC record.

The Gamecocks (9-1, 3-0 SEC) trailed in the 10th minute after Ally Watt gave No. 4 A&M a 1-0 lead. South Carolina was resilient and despite being down for 74 minutes, mounted a quick second half comeback to help them attain their seventh win in a row.

The Aggies (9-2, 2-1 SEC) were outshot 15-8 in the match. Watt scored her first goal for A&M after Mikaela Harvey passed the ball across the top of the 18-yard box. The freshman received the pass and took a touch inside before driving a powerful shot at the left side of goal sending the ball past the keeper.

The equalizing goal occurred for the home team with 16 minutes remaining after junior Daija Griffin released a low shot from 19 yards out. The forward placed the ball right inside the left post and Taylor Saucier had no chance of saving it.

The match appeared to be heading for overtime but in the 89th minute senior forward Raina Johnson won it for the Gamecocks. A long ball sent in bounced past Saucier as she came to retrieve it and Sophia Groff placed a pinpoint cross into the box where the 5-foot forward Johnson headed it home.

It was too little too late for the Aggies as Haley Pounds tried to send in a last ditch cross for the Aggies but mishit it and the ball went out for a goal kick.

The loss ends A&M’s five game winning streak and drops them into third place in the SEC while South Carolina moves to first.

The Aggies next match will be away to the Georgia Bulldogs this Sunday. Kick-off is scheduled for 12 p.m. and the match can be seen on ESPNU.