Aggie Soccer’s College Cup run ends in 3-1 loss to Virginia

Despite a goal from Kelley Monogue and the effort of eight other seniors, Texas A&M’s record-breaking season came to a close in a 3-1 loss to Virginia.
An offensive outbreak in the first half gave the Cavaliers the edge early with goal at 12:12. On the run, Virginia senior midfielder Morgan Brian looped the ball to a bursting Makenzy Doniak. The junior forward headed it in on the unprotected left side.
Kelley Monogue brought it to a deadlock in the 32nd minute when she countered with a strike coming from the middle just outside the box. Monogue, who collected the bouncing ball before the shot, tallied her 18th goal for her senior year, leading the Aggies.
Right before the break, junior centerback Emily Sonnett orchestrated Virginia’s second headed goal on the day with 1:36 left. A preluding shot was deflected in traffic by Aggie goalkeeper Jordan Day, but Sonnett was in position to make the play.
A quieter second half resulted in a scoreless front from A&M. The Cavaliers held the Aggies nine shots under average with 11, while they stuck their scoring average. They lead the nation with 3.54 goals a game.
Annie Kunz had an opportunity to equalize the match with 20 minutes left in what would be her last match n her college career. Junior defender Karlie Mueller squeezed into Kunz’s area, but the attempt would fall into the arms of Virginia goalkeeper Morgan Stearns.
Seven minutes later, Monogue found herself at it again. This time, her shot would be deflected and come straight into Stearns lap once more.
After coming off the bench, sophomore midfielder Alexis Shaffer capped off the night for the Cavaliers. Her goal with 3:26 to go clinched the right for Virginia to play in the national title.
A&M graduates nine seniors, which includes Jordan Day, Allie Bailey, Meghan Streight, Shea Groom, Annie Kunz, Leigh Edwards, Kelley Monogue, Bianca Brinson, and Renee McDermott.
The Women’s College Cup is featured in Boca Raton, Fla. this year, and the match was played in rainy conditions. It was the Aggies first appearance in school history, while Virginia earned a bid for the second year in a row. Advancing this time, they will await the winner of Florida State and Virginia.