Aggie softball completes home sweep in last series before SEC tournament

Tim Lai
Texas A&M Softball

On senior day at the Aggie softball Complex, the Aggies wanted to win it for their four seniors at their final game in College Station. After some struggling and some fighting, the Aggies ended up finding a way to win.

The Texas A&M softball completed the sweep against the Ole Miss Rebels with a score of 8-6 on what was a hot Sunday afternoon.

The Aggies (38-17, 12-12 SEC) needed this win to contend for better seeding for the SEC tournament, where they could either get the eighth or seventh seed if they win and get a Tennessee loss today. A&M started the contest slow, the Rebels using small ball with three singles to get the bases loaded to begin the second. Aggie starter Rachel Fox faced off against Haley Culley, the No. 9 hitter, and Culley sent the Fox pitch over the fence for a grand slam to give the Rebels the early 4-0 lead.

After a Celena Massey walk, freshman Kristen Cuyos sent a Madi Osias offering over the left field wall for a two run home run to cut the Rebel lead to two.

Leadoff hitter Tori Vidales took the first pitch of the third inning and hit a single right up the middle. The next pitch, sophomore April Ryan crushed the ball toward right-center field and hits the scoreboard for her seventh home run of the year, tying the game at three apiece.

After a Cuyos walk and a Brittany Clopton single in the fourth, Tori Vidales continued her hot hitting with a two run double to give the Aggies the first lead of the game. After a two inning lull, the Aggies stretched their lead to four with a two-run homer, driving in Clopton for an 8-4 lead. The Rebels added another run in seventh but couldn’t cut the lead any further as Rachel Fox earned her 22nd victory of the season.

After the game, the Aggies held a ceremony to celebrate the four seniors on their last game at the Aggie Softball Complex. Head coach Jo Evans complemented and praised Brittany Clopton, the senior left fielder who wore the No. 12 jersey for the Aggies this season.

“I can’t say enough good things about No. 12,” coach Evans said. “There is nobody I would rather have wearing the No. 12 than Brittany Clopton. She epitomizes everything about the 12th man and everything the 12th man is known for and is expected to be, she is that person.”
The Aggies will be back in action on Wednesday for the SEC tournament in Baton Rouge, Louisiana.

• Softball 7

Tim Lai
  • Softball 6

Tim Lai
  • Softball 5

Tim Lai
  • Softball 1

Tim Lai
  • Softball 2

Tim Lai
  • Softball 3

Tim Lai