Aggie softball dominates at Mary Nutter Classic

Softball
Photo by Photo by: Morgan Engel
Softball

The No. 23 Texas A&M softball team competed in the Mary Nutter Classic this past weekend in Cathedral City, California and came out as the only undefeated team in the tournament, cruising to an impressive 6-0 record..
In all six games, the Aggies scored eight or more runs and defeated their opponents by an average of six runs.  Three of the six wins were over top 25 opponents including an 11-6 victory over No. 9 Washington, 8-4 over No. 10 Arizona, and 10-4 over No. 16 Central Florida.
Two players who played well in California are senior outfielder Cali Lanphear and freshman pitcher and utility player Samantha Show. Lanphear hit for a .444 average with three home runs and nine RBIs over the weekend. Show had five hits in 10 at-bats, tacking on three home runs and seven RBIs.
In addition to her contributions at the plate, Show contributed in the circle pitching for the Aggies as well. She tossed 20.1 innings over the three days, adding 17 strikeouts and two wins. Show’s best game in the tournament came against No. 10 Arizona, in which she threw a complete game with six strikeouts and also added two home runs and four RBIs.
“I thought Samantha Show had her best start of the year [against Arizona], a complete game,” head coach Jo Evans told 12thman.com. “She was in control the whole game and didn’t get rattled, throwing strikes when she needed to.”
In the last game of the tournament on Sunday, Texas A&M started strong — scoring the first three runs of the game in the bottom of the first against New Mexico. The Lobos answered with seven unanswered runs as the Aggies faced a 7-3 deficit going into the last inning — putting the Aggies’ unblemished record in the Mary Nutter Classic in jeopardy. A&M rallied for five runs in the top of the seventh leading to an 8-7 victory over New Mexico. 
“To see our kids fight, it took a complete team effort to get that win [against New Mexico],” Evans told 12thman.com. “The kids that came off the bench to hit and run, they all played hard in a tough situation. I am proud of the way our kids handled that.”
The Aggies are now 11-1 overall and will travel south to face the Houston Cougars Wednesday at 6 p.m.