Junior Adela Cernousek tees off during the Bryan Regional of the NCAA Women’s Golf Championship at Traditions Golf Club on Monday, May 6, 2024. (Chris Swann/ The Battalion)
Cernousek captures individual national title as Aggies advance to NCAA quarterfinals

It didn’t take long for Texas A&M athletics to add another accolade to its trophy case. Just a day after the Aggies’ women’s tennis...

Aggie softball hosts No. 9 Wildcats in conference opener

Lai — The BATTALION Senior pitcher Rachel Fox leads the team in innings and strikeouts through 21 games

For an Aggie softball team riding high, there’s no better way to open SEC play than a home series against a top-10 team.
The No. 20 Texas A&M softball team will take its 10-game win streak into its SEC opening series this weekend against the No. 9 Kentucky Wildcats in a top-25 clash at the Aggie Softball Complex.
The Aggies (17-4) last lost a game against No. 2 Oregon in early February. The pitching has been a constant for A&M, as senior Rachel Fox and junior Katie Marks combine for a 16-3 record. Fox leads the club in innings pitched with 81 1/3, and strikeouts with 67.
Kentucky (13-3) counters on the mound with junior Kelsey Nunley, who leads the club with a 1.97 ERA, and sophomore Meagan Prince, who leads the team with seven wins.
“They have a great pitching staff,” head coach Jo Evans said. “Our pitchers are going to need to be able to compete with their pitchers. We need to keep the game close to give us a chance to make some adjustments offensively.”
Kentucky does not lack firepower. The Wildcat team hits .319 as a team this season with 102 runs scored and 29 stolen bases. Junior outfielder Sylver Samuel paces the team— she has a .404 average with 18 runs scored, and a .456 on-base percentage. Senior Griffin Joiner hits .396 with four homers and a team-leading 23 RBIs, while sophomore Breanne Ray is hitting .355 and junior Christian Stokes is hitting .340 with two doubles, three homers and 14 RBIs.
Fox said they will approach Kentucky’s high-powered offense carefully.
“Well, I think it’s important to know the strengths and weaknesses of each team,” Fox said. “Each team is different so we play off that. Obviously we played Kentucky last year so we have some information on that. They do have some home run power, but if we’re able to keep the ball down and in the park, we have a good chance of beating them.
Junior Cali Lanphear said she looks forward to the atmosphere the 12th Man provides.
“Our 12th Man atmosphere is one of a kind,” Lanphear said. “It’s something that Kentucky has never experienced because this is their first time coming to our home field since we’ve been in the SEC. They don’t want to know what they’re in for.”
First pitch is at 6:30 p.m. Friday.