Aggie softball opens fall season against Blinn

Photo by Tim Lai

Tori Vidales dashes for first base during the softball game against Texas State on Wednesday, April 29th. 

The Texas A&M softball team will begin its fall season with a doubleheader against Blinn College beginning at 4 p.m. Thursday in the Aggie Softball Complex.

The new-look Aggies are coming off a 40-win 2015 season and .500 winning percentage in conference play. Senior Cali Lanphear said she is excited to get on the softball diamond for the first time in a real-game situation.

“In the fall, it’s mainly for all of our newcomers — a sophomore transfer and all of our freshmen to get their feet wet and see what they can do,” Lanphear said. “It’s really good for us to put together all of the work that we’ve been doing in the offseason. If there is any changes we’ve made with our swings or any defense changes, we can implement them and see if we like them.”

With four seniors leaving the team after the 2015 season, head coach Jo Evans is looking for other players to step into greater leadership roles for the upcoming season.

Sophomore third baseman Tori Vidales led the team in batting average and home runs in her first season with .368 and 20, respectively. Sophomore Kristen Cuyos trailed Vidales at second on the team in home runs with 10, and sophomore catcher Ashley Walters started every game but two. Vidales said having a year of experience will allow her to be a leader for the freshmen. 

“I feel like I can take more of a leadership role on the team now with being able to help out the freshman in the way that things progress through the fall,” Vidales said. “Having a year under my belt helps a lot.”

Evans said she has inherited four talented freshmen who have an opportunity to see the field and make an immediate impact.  

“I’m really excited about this freshman class,” Evans said. “There’s four of them, and all four have a chance to be starters. They’re pushing the returners. Their athleticism is there, but it’s just a matter of getting comfortable in the system. With that comes more competitiveness, a sense of urgency and more depth and I love that.”