Aggie softball records much-needed series win over Auburn

Photo by Photo by: Brian Okosun

Sophomore catcher Ashley Walters drove in six runs over the weekend against Auburn.

Over the weekend, the Aggie softball team got a much-needed series win over the No. 6 Auburn Tigers. Texas A&M took games one and two by scores of 6-5 and 13-6, respectively, and lost game three by a score of 5-4. The Aggies improved their record to 37-17 (9-15 SEC) with the series victory.
In the opener on Friday, the Aggies played in just their second extra inning game of the year and won by a score of 6-5.
“I thought our pitchers did a great job tonight,” A&M head coach Jo Evans told 12thman.com. “They gave up two earned runs to a very potent offense and gave us a chance to get a big win on the road. Our hitters did a great job with the strike zone and attacking their pitchers. We took the momentum from the Florida win on Sunday into the game tonight. It was a great team win for us.”
In Saturday’s 13-6 win, Coach Jo Evans recorded her 1100th career victory.
“I had no idea,” Evans told 12thman.com. “For me, it always makes me nostalgic about all the players that have contributed to those wins. Some may have never had a big at bat, but they are my kids. They have enriched my life so much. For this to happen with this team, I am thrilled. I love this ball club. I just appreciate my staff and those people who have helped me get where I am.”
The offense in the series victory was lead by freshman Keeli Milligan, sophomore Ashley Walters, and freshman Samantha Show. Milligan hit at a .571 clip over the weekend and added an RBI and three runs scored. Walters had four hits in nine at bats, adding six RBIs on the weekend as well. Walters finished with a .458 average in SEC play. Show went 5-10 and added a home run each game of the series.
Though the Aggie pitching staff wasn’t dominant, it pitched well enough to get the series victory. Trinity Harrington, Samantha Show and Kayla Ober all stepped in the circle for the Aggies this weekend. Harrington started the first two games for the Aggies and tossed 11 2/3 innings over the weekend, giving up six earned runs and striking out five. Show threw seven and one-third innings, giving up four earned runs and striking out six batters. Ober tossed two scoreless innings on Sunday, giving up just three hits in the process.
The Aggies have secured the 10th seed in the SEC Tournament and will play the seventh-seeded LSU Tigers on Wednesday in Starkville, Mississippi. First pitch is scheduled for 1:30 p.m.