Aggie Softball sweeps former Big 12 foe Texas Tech, improves to 23-2

Photo by Photo by: Morgan Engel

Freshman Keeli Milligan is congratulated by her teammates after she scores.

The No. 10 Texas A&M softball team welcomed in-state foe Texas Tech over the weekend at the Aggie Softball Complex and came away with a three-game sweep. The Aggies won the three games by scores of 9-5, 7-6, and a convincing 17-3. Texas A&M now boasts an overall record of 23-2 on the year.

“I am really pleased to see us separate ourselves in the third game,” head coach Jo Evans told 12thman.com. “It is not easy to beat anybody three games in a row. Our kids really came out to play today. I thought our pitchers did a really nice job, and our hitters especially. Lately, we would score some runs and then have a lull, but we didn’t have that today. It is really nice to see our kids get after it and put pressure on opposing players.” 

The Aggies started each game scorching hot, scoring 33 total runs over the weekend. 20 of those 33 runs came in the first innings of the three games. Sophomore Tori Vidales, senior Breanna Dozier and freshman Kaitlyn Alderink led the offensive attack. Vidales hit .600 over the weekend with two RBIs, Dozier hit .500 with two home runs, including a grand slam, and seven RBIs and Alderink had four hits in her eight at bats, tacking on three RBIs.

Other players who contributed on offense included freshman Keeli Milligan and sophomore Kristen Cuyos. Milligan stole four bases to increase her total to 30 on the year, which leads the SEC. Cuyos finished the weekend with nine home runs, which also leads the SEC.

In the circle, Show led the way yet again. The freshman tossed 12 total innings, including a complete game on Saturday, in which the Aggies led 7-0 after the first before Texas Tech scored six unanswered to tighten things up. In the 12 innings, Show struck out 16 Red Raiders.

“I thought Samantha Show came out and took care of business in the sixth and seventh where she really got some big strikeouts for us,” Evans told 12thman.com.

Senior Katie Marks threw 5 1/3 scoreless innings, and sophomore Trinity Harrington threw 1 2/3 innings, striking out one and walking none.

The Aggies will be back in action on Tuesday as they take on Georgia Southern in a doubleheader starting at 1:30 p.m. at the Aggie Softball Complex.