Texas A&Ms attendance for the Alabama game was at 108,101 fans ranking it at the third largest game in Kyle Field history.(Ishika Samant/The Battalion)
‘The Mexican 12th Man’

Growing up in the hills of Monterrey, Mexico, Pedro and Carlos Luna were surrounded by soccer.  Clad in the gold and blue of Tigres UANL,...

Aggie softball team sweeps Texas Tech

Texas A&M is riding a four game win streak as they head into their last two games of the season next weekend at Oklahoma State.
The No. 20 Aggies (40-13, 10-6 Big 12) came up big in Lubbock, as they swept the Texas Tech Red Raiders 10-6 and 8-4.
Freshman Mel Dumezich (14-1) picked up the win on Saturday, allowing six runs on 11 hits. For the Raiders, Ashly Jacobs picked up her seventh loss after four innings of work.
Junior Rhi Kliesing, who has had the hot bat for the Aggies, swung for a two-run homer in the first inning to give her team the early lead.
After allowing a home run to Logan Hall, the Aggies led 7-6 going into the last inning. They got three runs across the plate before holding the Raiders in the bottom of the inning to give them the victory.
Six Aggies had hits in the game, with four of them having two. They totaled 13 hits in the game against the 11 from Tech.
On Sunday, A&M capitalized on their momentum from Saturday, as they posted five runs in the first inning. No. 2 hitter, Sydney Shannon, hit a two-run bomb for the early lead. Dumezich picked up an RBI along with sophomore Kelsea Orsak, who brought in two.
Sophomore Becca Arbino threw a complete game, allowing four runs on seven hits. She struck out three batters and recorded her 19th win of the season.
“Getting off to that kind of start was huge,” Head Coach Jo Evans said. “It was also really important because it helped Becca [Arbino] go out there with a lead and feel comfortable.”
Tech starter Jacobs was pulled after allowing the five runs in just 2/3 innings, and was stuck with her second loss of the weekend.
The Red Raiders scored two runs in the fourth inning, before Orsak came back and hit a long ball, picking up three more RBIs. Her five RBIs were the most in a single game of her career.
“I’m really proud of our team; we didn’t back down one bit,” Evans said. “The bottom of our order really stepped up, and we kept fighting. Every time they scored we came back and scored. We showed a lot of fight out there and did a good job.”
Next weekend’s series in Stillwater will be the final games of the regular season for the Aggies. No. 11 Oklahoma State (43-11, 11-4 Big 12) had not lost a conference game until facing Texas Tech two weeks ago.