Aggie tennis prepares for road games

Photo by Cody Franklin

Arthur Rinderknech came from France to play for Texas A&M.

Both the men’s and women’s tennis teams are preparing for mid-week road matches before closing out their regular seasons this weekend.
The No. 11 women’s team (12-4, 9-2 SEC) will head to Waco, Texas, for a rematch at 5 p.m. Wednesday against the No. 7 Baylor Bears (19-5, 5-1 Big 12).
The last time the two teams met, the Aggies defended their home court against the then-No. 6 Bears in College Station. At the time, the match was an upset, as A&M was ranked No. 30 when it hosted the Bears.
Since their first meeting, the Aggies have won six of seven matches and worked their way up the polls. Baylor has done comparatively well. Since its loss on March 19 to A&M, it has won four of its five matches and remains a top-10 team.
However, Baylor looks to rebound from its recent conference loss to No. 18 Texas Tech.
The No. 7 Texas A&M men’s team will travel to Baton Rouge, Louisiana Thursday to face No. 24 LSU in its final conference match of the regular season.
The Aggies (17-3, 10-1 SEC) have now won nine straight matches and plan to keep the momentum going as they head to the SEC tournament, where they are projected to be a top seed. A&M has been led by freshman AJ Catanzariti, who has won 11 straight singles matches and contributed to 15 doubles wins.
The success at the bottom of the lineup for the Aggies has been key in a number of their matches on this winning run. In addition to Catanzariti, Jordi Arconada, Max Lunkin and Arthur Rinderknech have all provided key wins for the Aggies.
The Tigers (16-5, 6-4 SEC) have also relied on their depth as of late, especially in their last conference win at Auburn where players on courts four through six all tallied up points for LSU.
Although the Tigers were able to leave Auburn with a tight victory, they have often been on the losing side of competitive matches this season. Even with four conference losses the Tigers remain in the conversation of the SEC tournament as they sit as the No. 24 team in the nation.
The match begins at 3 p.m. Thursday.