Aggie tennis ready for showdowns against South Alabama and Fresno State

Tennis
Photo by File
Tennis

The A&M tennis team continues its spring campaign this weekend when it hosts the ITA kick-off weekend at the Mitchell Tennis Center. The men’s team faces off against Fresno State while the women begin the weekend against South Alabama.

The men’s team looks to remain undefeated after garnering two impressive victories over UTSA and Lamar at home last Saturday. The No. 5 Aggies are highlighted by a talented group of upperclassmen, including Shane Vinsant as well as younger players such as Arthur Rinderknech. The two are ranked 29th and fifth in singles. Head coach Steve Denton praised Rinderkneck saying that the sophomore displays talent uncomparable to other underclassmen in recent years.

“We’ve got some younger players that have really stepped up,” Denton said. “Arthur Rinderknech especially had the best fall out of any Aggie we’ve had since we’ve been here. He’s kind of called the beast in the east. He’s a big guy, he moves well and he’s played really well. So it will be interesting to see [how his season] all plays out.”

The Boise State Broncos travel to College Station with two wins under their belt which include a 5-2 victory over Grand Canyon and a dominating 7-0 win against Southern Utah. The Broncos won the match in a mere hour and 20 minutes. The two teams face off at 3 p.m. Saturday.

The A&M women’s team enter the weekend facing their first taste of spring competition after coming off a solid fall campaign under head coach Mark Weaver. Their tournament season was highlighted by a finals appearance from doubles team Rutuja Bhosale and Anna Mamalat in the ITA Regionals tournament in College Station. The Aggies also posted a 20-7 record in the SMU Red and Blue Challenge in Dallas at the end of the fall.
The South Alabama Jaguars will travel to the Mitchell Tennis Center coming off of a 21-3 record season last spring and a 1-1 record in 2016 which was highlighted by a 4-3 comeback victory over Furman. The Aggies will be challenged by an experienced South Alabama squad which features a seven member roster carry six upperclassmen. The best of seven match is set to begin at noon on Saturday.