The No. 3 Texas A&M baseball team took on No. 1 Tennessee Thursday at 1 p.m. at Hoover Metropolitan Stadium in Hoover, Alabama. Despite its...

Aggie track has record breaking performance at Razorback Invitational

Errol Anderson
Texas A&M Track

This past weekend, the Texas A&M track team broke a collegiate record while simultaneously posting the fourth fastest all-time 4×400 relay time in the world at the Razorback Invitational.

In a time of 3:02:52, the 4×400 relay team consisting of senior Fred Kerley (44.96), sophomore Richard Rose (46.01), freshman Devon Dixon (46.25) and Mylik Kerley (45.30) outran the previous Aggie foursome at 3:02:86 set in 2015. The previous A&M record holders included Gregory Coleman, Bralon Taplin, Shavez Hart and Deon Lendore.

Their relay time is the fourth fastest recorded in the world along with being the fastest time in the month of January. The world and American record is 3:02:13 and was set by USA National Team in 2014.

Additionally, Kerley’s leg at 44.96 seconds, is the fastest time ever recorded indoors, passing Reggie Witherspoon of Florida at a time of 45.5 seconds in 2004 and a 45.71 run by Tyree Washington for the United States in 2006.

“I give all the credit to my teammates and my coaches,” Kerley said to 12thman.com. “The plan was to open up the race from the start and give every inch of an advantage to my teammates as possible. My momentum is really strong right now and I’m happy with the performances I’ve had so far this season.”

When it was all said and done, the men’s team finished second in scoring, while the women placed fourth overall. At 85 points overall, the men finished behind only the host Arkansas at 99.5 with LSU taking the women’s meet at 84.33.

Senior Lindon Victor and Sophomore Jazmine Fray were also among the standout performers. Both Victor and Jazmine broke school records — the heptathlon record with 5,805 points Victor previously set himself and the 800m record in 2:06.76.
The Aggies will return to College Station Feb. 3-4 for the Charlie Thomas Invitational. The meet will be broadcast on the SEC Network Plus.