Aggie track set for Reveille Invitational

Photo by Photo By: Kathryn Perez

Aggie track and field concluded their indoor schedule this weekend.

Texas A&M’s track and field team start their indoor season by hosting the Reveille Invitational on Saturday at Gilliam Indoor Stadium. This meet is the first of five indoor home meets this season.
The events will begin at 3 p.m. and the Aggies will be competing against TCU and Houston. Head track coach Pat Henry said this is a relaxed meet where they will see how the training has been going for each athlete.
“It’s a test period — we are seeing where we are right now,” Henry said. “They [TCU and Houston] will be doing the same thing we’re doing, they are just kind of looking at people and seeing how the training has going to this point and where people are.”
The Aggies have many top-ranked athletes returning to the track the first time this season. Shamier Little who earned a silver medal at the World Championships and two-time defending NCAA Champion will begin her season by running in the 4×400 relay.

Chase Wolfle and Audie Wyatt return to the pole vault while clearing 18 feet last season. The men’s 4×400 relay will feature Deon Lendore, Bralon Taplin, Shavez Hart, and Demetrius Pinder, which is usually one of the top-ranked relay teams in the nation. Coach said that all athletes will have a chance to compete this Saturday with very few exceptions.
“We have some returning people who I anticipate being a little better than we were last year,” Henry said. “This Is the time of year that you get to see some things things.”
The distance team is coming off of a successful cross country season and this meet should help them an idea of how much the cross country training has converted into their track times. Henry said he is excited to see all the athletes come out show off their training and how hard they have worked up to this point.
“We start training the first day of class and many were training in the summer time,” Henry said. “Training is no fun — training is training. We wait for Saturdays when you get to see what kind of athlete you are developing into and that’s the fun part.”