Aggie track sweeps team titles at the Quadrangular meet

Photo by Photo By: Kathryn Perez
Texas A&M Quadrangular

Texas A&M track and field won both team titles as the the men’s team extended their home record to 14-0, while the women’s team improved to 11-3 at the Texas A&M Quadrangular meet Saturday.
The Aggie men scored 172 points to secure the title over Texas Tech (121.5), Oklahoma (121.5), and Arizona State (104). The women totaled 143 points to defeat Oklahoma (135), Texas Tech (121), and Arizona State (116). The Aggies finished the meet with three meet records and 13 victories.
Hector Hernandez improved the meet record in the 800m to 1:48.35 where he led the race wire to wire. Austin Wells also had a record breaking performance as he led the 3,000m run from the very beginning and clocked a 8:09.90 to better the meet record by less than a second. Audie Wyatt attempted to break Texas A&M’s indoor record in the pole vault after clearing 17 ft 9 in, establishing yet another meet record.
Will Williams jumped in his first track meet this year, in a near record-breaking fashion. Williams jumped 25 ft 9 ¼ in the long jump as A&M’s Latario Collie earned a second place finish in 23 ft 0 ¾ in. In the middle distance, Texas A&M’s Cameron Villarreal won the mile run in 4:05.66, missing the meet record by one second.
Shamier Little ran in the open 400 in a strong effort and posted the world’s second fastest time this indoor season as Oklahoma’s Daye Shon Roberson claimed the victory and world-leading time of 52.62.
Devin Jenkins also won both the 60 and 200 meters in 6.71 and 20.95 seconds, respectively. Oklahoma’s Traveyon Armstrong was the runner-up in 6.80 seconds and Texas Tech’s Andrew Hudson ran 21.25 in the 200 to finish second.

Jennifer Madu claimed the 60m victory in 7.38, edging out Aaliyah Brown who ran 7.41. In the 800m run, Katie Willard won in 2:09.81 as Fred Kerley took down Texas Tech’s Joseph Richards in the 400 while clocking 46.70.

Sam McSwain got the crowd involved as he cleared 7-0 ¼ to win the high jump and record a new personal best. The Aggie women’s 4×400 relay team won in 3:40.43 and Texas Tech’s men’s team won the 4×400 relay, closely beating Texas A&M and recording a 3:07.40. In the distance medley relay, Oklahoma broke ten minutes and posted 9:58.28 to edge out A&M’s effort of 9:58.69.
The Aggies will next compete at the Razorback Invitational in Fayetteville, Arkansas next weekend.