Aggie volleyball sweeps Auburn for third time

Photo by Tim Lai

The Aggies swept Auburn for the third time in a row Wednesday night.

Texas A&M volleyball had its third straight sweep against Auburn. The Aggies countered their first home and SEC loss of the season earlier this week with a successful trip to Auburn Wednesday night.

The Aggies (8-5, 1-1 SEC) took to the road to play Auburn (9-5, 1-1 SEC) in Auburn, Alabama. Texas A&M head coach Laurie Corbelli has had a successful rally in the past against the Tigers, hoisting a 6-1 overall record prior to the meeting.

The Aggies started strong early in the first set, gaining a six-point lead. Later in the set, the Aggies had an eight-point rally to set the score at 19-8 with multiple kills by Kiara McGee and Jazzmin Babers. The Aggies finished off the set due to an attack error from Auburn’s Alexa Filley. The Aggies claimed the first set 25-14, leading with 14 kills over Auburn’s 10.

Despite losing the first point of the second set, the Aggies took a six-point rally to force a Tiger timeout and propel them for the rest of the set. Stephanie Aiple had multiple kills that stunted the Tiger defense to help the Aggies gain the edge. A&M dominated the remainder of the set and finished with a service ace by Shelby Sullivan.

The Aggies struggled at the start of the third set, going back and forth with Auburn 6-6. The Aggies finally gave up the match lead streak when Auburn gained a kill by Brenna McIlroy putting the score at 15-14. The Aggies regained the lead and finished the match with a kill by Emily Hardesty to force the sweep.
The Texas A&M Aggies will return to the court against Ole Miss at 1 p.m. in College Station on Sunday. The game will be broadcasted on SEC Network.