Aggie women’s basketball travels to Missouri for SEC contest

Photo by Photo by: Kevin Chou

Sophomore Guard Danni Williams leads the Aggies in scoring with 18.2 points per game. 

The Aggie women’s basketball team looks to continue its hot start in conference play as it travels to Columbia to take on the Missouri Tigers (12-7, 2-3 SEC). A&M (14-4, 4-1 SEC) comes into this matchup having won three straight and six of its last seven, which propelled the Aggies into the top 25. A&M is just one game behind No. 4 Mississippi State and No. 5 South Carolina in the SEC standings. Missouri won its last game against Vanderbilt to end a three-game losing streak and give the Tigers their second SEC win.

The last two contests between A&M and Missouri have been very close, with A&M taking the game last year by just four points, and Missouri taking the game by one point in 2015. A&M also has a six-game win streak in Mizzou Arena, having not lost there since 2005. The Aggies will also be the first ranked team Missouri has hosted in Mizzou Arena this year.

The Aggies are led by sophomore Danni Williams, junior Khaalia Hillsman and senior Curtyce Knox. Williams is averaging 18.2 points and 2.7 rebounds per game, while Hillsman is averaging 16.9 points and 8.1 rebounds per game. Knox is averaging an incredible 9.7 assists a game, which is tops in the NCAA. The Tigers are led by sophomores Sophi Cunningham and Cierra Porter. Cunningham averages 16.5 points and 4.9 rebounds per game, while Porter averages 14.3 points and 8.8 rebounds per game.
The matchup will serve as Missouri’s annual We Back Pat game, which honors legendary Tennessee coach Pat Summitt and raises awareness for Alzheimer’s. Tip-off is scheduled for 8 p.m. and the game will be televised on the SEC Network.