A&M welcomes new journalism professors from CNN, Dallas Morning News
Ana Renfroe and Stacy Cox April 19, 2024

At a ceremony honoring Aggie journalists, Texas A&M announced it will welcome three new journalism professors in the fall. New hires will...

Texas A&M outfielder Jace Laviolette (17) hits a home run during Texas A&M’s game against The United States Air Force Academy on Tuesday, April 16, 2024 at Olsen Field. (Hannah Harrison/The Battalion)
No. 1 Aggies combine for 28 runs in doubleheader sweep of Crimson Tide
Luke White and Justin ChenApril 19, 2024

Game 1 If the Texas A&M baseball team can treat each inning like it’s been playing in the fifth frame during the past week, it shouldn’t...

Members of the 2023-2024 Aggie Muster Committee pose outside the Jack K. Williams Administration Building. (Photo courtesy of Aggie Muster Committee)
Orchestrating a century-old tradition
Sydnei Miles, Head Life & Arts Editor • April 18, 2024

As Muster approaches, the Aggie Muster Committee works to organize a now century-old tradition. These students “coordinate every facet” of...

(Graphic by Ethan Mattson/The Battalion)
Opinion: ‘Fake Money,’ real change
Eddie Phillips, Opinion Writer • April 19, 2024

Us Aggies live privileged existences: companies beg us to take on tens of thousands in loans.  I know this may sound contradictory, but the...

Aggies add one more win to the win column after taking down Commodores

Photo by Chris Swann
Junior Giulio Perego returns the ball during Texas A&M’s match against Vanderbilt on Friday, March 29, 2024 at Mitchell Tennis Center. (Chris Swann/The Battalion)

The No. 10 Texas A&M men’s tennis team dominated the No. 27 Vanderbilt Commodores at the Mitchell Tennis Center on Friday, March 29. Despite tough conditions, the Aggies managed to secure a hard-fought 6-1 victory and send the Commodores back on the train with another loss in their luggage.

Things started off strong for the Maroon and White as the team of junior JC Roddick and freshman Lathan Skrobarcek defeated Vanderbilt’s freshman duo of Hugo Coquelin and Danil Panarin, 6-3, on Court 3.

The Commodores answered right back in a fight for the doubles point as the Commodore team of senior Jeremie Casabon and sophomore Nathan Cox took down freshman Tiago Pires and graduate Kenner Taylor, 6-4, on Court 2.

However, to secure the doubles point and a 1-0 lead heading into singles play, the Fightin’ Farmers’ No. 28 team of junior Giulio Perego and sophomore Togan Tokac beat Vandy’s No. 54 duo of fifth-year senior Joubert Klopper and junior Michael Ross, 7-6 (7-5), on Court 1.

Leading 1-0, things fell off the rails for the Commodores as A&M won the next five singles matches. The first victorious Aggie, Tokac defeated Cox in two lopsided sets, 6-2, 6-0, on Court 3.

Next for the Aggies, junior Luke Casper beat the Commodore Coquelin quickly in two sets, 7-5, 6-1, on Court 6. Then, securing the win for A&M, No. 24 Roddick defended his ranking against Klopper in two one-sided sets, 6-2, 6-4, on Court 2. For Roddick, this was the junior’s 11th singles victory of the season.

After securing a 4-0 win the remaining matches played out as follows. Perego beat Ross, 7-6 (7-5), 6-4, on Court 4. This was Perego’s 12th singles victory which makes him the team leader in singles wins.

Next, A&M’s No. 33 senior Raphael Perot took down Vanderbilt’s No. 85 Panarin, 6-1, 7-6 (7-0), on Court 1. However, one bright spot for the Commodores on the day was in the final match as Casabon defeated Pires in three tough sets, 1-6, 6-3, 7-6 (7-4).

After securing the 6-1 win over their in-conference opponent, the Aggies now hold an overall record of 17 wins and five losses. A&M also boasts an SEC record of 6-2. This hard fought victory at home for A&M makes it the 11th of the season, losing on its home court just once to the No. 1 Ohio State Buckeyes.

“We were able to secure the doubles point which I thought kept us in the lead early in the match,” coach Steve Denton said “The team relaxed a little from there and just played tennis, winning the first sets. Vanderbilt did a good job pushing back in the second sets of some of the matches and made it tough on us. Proud of the way we responded there to close out the match. We have a quick turnaround in getting ready at LSU on Sunday.”

The Aggies are next in action on Sunday, March 31, taking on the No. 36 LSU Tigers at the LSU Tennis Complex in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, with first serve set for 1 p.m.