Aggies advance to College Station Regional Final

Sophomore Sarah Hudek makes a money sign to her teammates in the dugout after hitting a double. 

With the second run rule of the College Station Regional, No.15 Texas A&M softball defeated the McNeese 10-1 in six innings and move on to the NCAA Regional Final.
The Aggies earned a season high of 13 hits after scoring at least one run in all but the fifth inning. Along with the record setting hits and 10 runs, the Aggies hit three home runs in the second and third inning with another one by senior shortstop,p Kristen Cuyos in the sixth.
Junior third baseman Riley Sartain, took control of the offense and finished with a solo home run and three RBIs. After the game, Sartain said she wanted to perform for her team today and kick start their momentum.
“Really just going into this regional I understood that I wasn’t performing like I needed to, to go into post season. I kind of just wanted to get some momentum going and really be the person my team needed me to be,” Sartain said. “Whether it was to get a little base hit up the middle or hit a home run. Today to get that home run it really meant a lot but I’m more pleased with the (base hit) that ended up getting two RBIs. Really just trying to do what I can do for my team in any situation and to be that person in the bottom of the lineup that gets things turned around for the top.”
Sartain went 3-for-2 for the day and was accompanied by fellow offensive leaders junior outfielder Keeli Milligan who went 4-for-2. Along with sophomore right fielder Sarah Hudek who finished 4-for-3 with three RBIs.
A&M was able extend its lead to 4-1 in the bottom of the second. Hudek shot a double to left field in the first to bring home Milligan for the first run of the game. She would put points on the board again in the second when she hit a homer down left field to move the Aggies to four runs.
Hudek said securing a strong lead from the beginning helped the pitchers remain comfortable on the mound despite being the visiting team.
“To set the tone -especially being visitors- set the tone right out of the gate. What pitcher doesn’t like pitching with a lead?” Hudek said. “So, to be able to jump ahead early and give [Trinity Harrington] a lead and have her be comfortable on the mound, that’s really our goal as hitters. To make it easier for out pitchers. Today, I think throughout our whole lineup we made the job a lot easier for our pitchers.”
A&M’s defense was able to keep McNeese to just one run in the first. Harrington was the starting pitcher for the Aggies. Harrington finished her four innings with two hits and two strikeouts. A&M’s other senior pitcher Lexi Smith came in for two innings as relief and finished with one strikeout and three hits.
As far as who will start in their Sunday game, A&M head coach Jo Evans said Harrington is a strong option for the team and she will be sure to use all the options the team is given.
“Trinity will definitely be an option for us tomorrow. You look at what our pitchers have done in the regional so far,” Evans said. “All three of them have thrown well enough for us to win games, and she didn’t throw a lot of pitches today. She could easily come back tomorrow and start for us. So, I love our options. I love that we’re two games, two wins with lots of options going into tomorrow. We’ll use everyone that we need.”
The Aggies move to a 42-16 record (13-11 SEC) with the win over McNeese and will face the winner of the Baylor-McNeese matchup. After eliminating Prairie View A&M 9-0, Baylor will face McNeese. A&M will play on Sunday at 1:30 p.m. and at 4 p.m. if another game is necessary.