Aggies against Aggies

Photo by via Texas A&M Men’s Soccer Club Facebook
Men’s Club Soccer

On a weekend when “We are the Aggies, the Aggies are we” was top of mind for football fans, the Texas A&M Men’s Soccer Club extended its win streak, defeating the Texas A&M Corps of Cadets Men’s Soccer Team in a different kind of football match.
Coming into the Sunday, Oct. 10, game, the A&M Men’s Soccer Club was 3-0 on the season and had racked up 27 goals while keeping opponents scoreless. The Corps team changed that in the early minutes of the game as the two teams traded goals at the 6- and 10-minute marks. The Men’s Club ultimately beat out the Corps team 5-2.
The Men’s Club team scored first on a long shot by Sam Schiller outside of the penalty area. Four minutes later the Corps of Cadets squad pulled together a quick-striking counter-attack that caught the Men’s Club off guard, scoring the first goal of the season against the Men’s Club.
Jacob Manley, captain of A&M’s Men’s Soccer Club, said there would be things for the team to work on at Monday night’s practice.
“There were some factors that we don’t know at the moment that caused us to play the way we did today,” Manley said.
Manley said the first half of the game was not one of their greatest, as they allowed the Corps team two scores in that half.
“We followed our tactical plan fairly well, but we can’t factor in the external factors that we can’t control either, and that’s what you saw today,” Manley said.
The Cadets’ team was able to take advantage of mistakes made by the Men’s Club, Manley said.
“After the first half was over, and during the halftime break, we went over what was going on and got it fixed for the second half,” Manley said.
The A&M Club scored three goals in the second half and the defense held against the Corps to finish off the game with a 5-2 win.
Now at 4-0 for the season, the Men’s Soccer Club is one step closer to dominating heading into the November regional and making a bid for the NIRSA National tournament
The Men’s Soccer Club’s next match is Oct. 16 at home against the University of Houston Cougars. For more information, visit TamuClubSoccer.com.