Neil Jhurani, Sports Writer • May 23, 2024

A warm, summer evening bestowed Hoover, Alabama on Wednesday night when the No. 4 Texas A&M Aggies faced the No. 15 Mississippi State Bulldogs...

Aggies compete in NCAA tennis individual championships

Senior Jeremy Efferding of the Texas A&M men’s tennis team competed Wednesday in the first round of the NCAA tournament’s individual championship.
No. 47 Efferding took on No. 27 Or Ram-Harel from Tulsa at the Hurd Tennis Center in Waco after a delay that pushed the match to the early afternoon. 
The Aggie senior dropped his first set, (3-6), but bounced back to force a third set when he won the second set tiebreak, (7-2) and took the set by a count of (7-6). Jeremy’s momentum from the tiebreak point carried over to the final set of the match and he took down his opponent, (6-2) to advance further in the tournament and prolong his playing days with Texas A&M. 
Efferding will move on to play Romain Bogaerts from Wake Forest in the round of 32 on Thursday. 
The Aggie women’s team was also represented in Waco on Wednesday when sophomores Rachel Pierson and Saska Gavrilovska began play in the 64 player tournament. 
Gavrilovska defeated her opponent from Dartmouth, Wednesday in straight sets, (6-4, 6-2) and secured herself a place in the second round of the tournament in Waco. The sophomore will play No. 11 Stephanie Wagner from Miami (FL) on Thursday. 
Unfortunately, not all the Aggies who competed Wednesday advanced to the next round of play. Sophomore Rachel Pierson fell to Viktoriya Lushkova from Oklahoma State, (2-6, 6-4, 5-7). 
Although Pierson was eliminated from singles competition, she will move on to compete in the doubles tournament beginning Thursday with her partner Eva Paalma.