Aggies continue winning streak

Vanessa Peña — THE BATTALION

Senior forward Achiri Ade scored 10 points during the A&M victory against Florida at Reed Arena Sunday.

Texas A&M has no room for losing games at home before March.
Sunday afternoon the Aggie women’s basketball team moved its winning streak to four games, defeating the Florida Gators 66-46.
A&M is now 10-0 when allowing fewer than 49 points. Courtney Williams led A&M with 11 points, eight rebounds and five assists.
Courtney Walker, Achiri Ade and Khaalia Hillsman all contributed to the win as well. Walker had nine points and four rebounds, Ade had 10 points and five rebounds and Hillsman finished with nine points and six rebounds.
Hillsman has been coming on strong the last few games and she said she attributes it to her practice mindset.
“Our coaches have really stressed working hard in practice before you can convert it onto the court,” Hillsman said. “I’ve been coming to practice with the mindset to get better everyday.”
Coming off a big road win at No. 11 Kentucky, A&M did not fall into the trap.
“We really came out fired up and ready to start the ballgame,” said head coach Gary Blair. “We got in foul trouble with the two Courtneys, but I trust my bench.”
It is the Aggies’ 17th consecutive win at home. A&M is now 123-3 against unranked teams at home since Feb. 2005 and has won the last 27 of those games.
The game started out fast for A&M (22-6, 10-4 SEC), and it never trailed in the game. A&M started the game on a 10-2 run. Florida (12-15, 4-10 SEC) cut the 10-point Aggie lead to three late in the first half. However, the Gators went scoreless for over four minutes, and a 7-0 Aggie run pushed the lead back to 10 at the half, 31-21.
Good shooting helped the Aggies earn the win. They shot 47 percent from the floor.
The Aggies built their largest lead of the game at 21 in the second half with a 15-2 run over a six-minute span. The Aggies spread the ball around well, as all five of the Aggie starters scored a point. As a team, they had 16 total assists. Jordan Jones led the Aggies in assists with six in the game.
Chelsea Jennings contributed off the bench with eight rebounds and five points, a big part of the win. She said her defense is what has been the biggest improvement to her.
“I bring pretty good defense,” Jennings said. “I just try to do the little things that maybe the starters are not contributing to at the moment.”
A&M will return Thursday night to Reed Arena for its home finale against Missouri.