Texas A&M pitcher Ryan Prager (18) reacts during Texas A&M’s game against Arkansas at Olsen Field on Thursday, May 16, 2024. (CJ Smith/The Battalion)
No. 5 Aggies outlast No. 3 Razorbacks in 11-inning pitchers duel

If you’re a fan of high-scoring baseball, Thursday’s matchup between No. 5 Texas A&M and No. 3 Arkansas probably wasn’t for you. But...

Aggies defeat Mountaineers 45-37, win fourth straight bowl game

Texas A&M claimed its fourth consecutive bowl victory for the first time in school history Monday with a 45-37 victory over West Virginia in the AutoZone Liberty Bowl.
Kyle Allen placed his name next to former A&M quarterback Johnny Manziel in the record books, tying a school record with four touchdowns thrown in a bowl game. Allen also added a score with a 14-yard rush in the contest.
Returning to the game plan was a dominant running attack, led by running backs Tra Carson and Trey Williams. Carson led the way with 133 yards on 25 carries, while Williams chipped in with 86 yards of his own including a score.
Thirty-four total points were scored in the first quarter as the Aggies found themselves trailing 20-14 after the first 15 minutes of action.
A&M senior Howard Matthews saw his game, season and A&M career come to an end when he was ejected for targeting early in the first quarter. On third and 17 from the A&M 35, West Virginia quarterback Skyler Howard sent a pass over the middle to Jordan Thompson. The pass fell incomplete, but the penalty resulted in both Howard’s ejection as well as a first down for the Mountaineers. West Virginia finished that drive with a field goal and trailed 7-3.
Scoring included a 44-yard pass to Josh Reynolds, his 13th touchdown reception of the season. The previous record for touchdowns in a single season was 12, held by former A&M receivers Jeff Fuller and Mike Evans.
After throwing an interception to KJ Dillon, which was returned for a 35-yard defensive touchdown, Kyle Allen rebounded on the next drive, connecting with Trey Williams on a fourth-down pass that went for 40 yards. After the successful PAT by A&M kicker Josh Lambo, A&M trailed 17-14.
Trailing 27-21 at the end of the first half, Allen drove A&M 90 yards on 12 plays before rushing into the left corner of the end zone for a 28-27 lead.
The second half opened with Lambo connecting on a 27-yard field goal, followed by an 18-yard rushing touchdown by Williams for a 38-27 advantage.
West Virginia threatened in the second half. After Mountaineers kicker Josh Lambert brought the game to 38-30 with a field goal, Allen launched a 9-yard touchdown pass to Malcome Kennedy that put the game away for good.
West Virginia quarterback Skyler Howard replaced starting QB Clint Trickett as starter after Trickett announced his early retirement from football due to five concussions over the span of 14 months. Late in the game, he padded his 20-of-45 day for 346 yards with a late touchdown to Elijah Wellman.
Allen, named MVP of the game, finished the day 22-of-35 with 294 yards passing.