Neil Jhurani, Sports Writer • May 23, 2024

A warm, summer evening bestowed Hoover, Alabama on Wednesday night when the No. 4 Texas A&M Aggies faced the No. 15 Mississippi State Bulldogs...

Aggies defeat Sam Houston State behind Harrington’s shutout

Photo by: Morgan Engel

Starting pitcher Trinity Harrington tossed three perfect innings Wednesday against Prairie View A&M. 

The No. 17 Aggie softball team took on Sam Houston State on Wednesday night in a pitcher’s duel that ended in a 2-0 A&M win. The Aggies improved to 5-0 on the year as the Bearkats fell to 2-4. Neither team had a hit until the fourth inning when junior centerfielder Erica Russell slapped a single into center, and Sam Houston State didn’t have a base runner until the top of the fifth.

A pivotal moment came in the top of the fifth when the leadoff batter for Sam Houston State hit a groundball to Aggie third baseman Riley Sartain and she booted it, letting the batter reach first. Then Bearkat freshman Kaitlynn Dawson crushed a double into left-center, but Erica Russell got the ball back in quick enough to keep the runner from scoring. A&M starting pitcher Trinity Harrington proceeded to strike out the side to end the inning and hold the Bearkats scoreless.

Then, in the bottom of the sixth, the Aggies didn’t seem to have any hope with nobody on and two outs until they loaded the bases and freshman Sarah Hudek stepped up to the plate. Hudek ripped a double into right field as two runs scored and that’s all the Aggies needed.

“It was nice to see her step up and we really needed it,” Coach Evans said of Hudek. “We were trying to figure out how to get ourselves on base all night, and Tori Vidales did a great job to set the table there, and then Hudek coming up and getting comfortable and driving that ball, she plays the game with a lot of fire, and it’s nice to see her get fired up.”

Aggie starting pitcher Trinity Harrington tossed an absolute gem as she went all seven innings, giving up just one hit and one walk. Harrington struck out eight batters on the night, including striking out the side in the top of the third and the top of the fifth.

“I thought she was terrific tonight,” Coach Evans said of Harrington. “She had great bite on her dropball and just a small adjustment she made in the bullpen yesterday made all the difference today and we’re really excited about her, she just wants to win, she wants our team to win, and she’s going to do whatever she can to get a win.”

Sam Houston State pitcher Tayler Atkinson also pitched very well, giving up just the two earned runs on four hits with five strikeouts to just two walks.
The Aggies will be back in action this weekend as they host the Texas A&M Invitational at the Aggie Softball Complex. The invitation features Stephen F. Austin, Missouri State, and New Mexico. The Aggies will start the tournament on Friday as they battle Stephen F. Austin at 3 p.m.