Aggies defend team title in Houston

The Texas A&M cross-country team competed in the Houston Baptist Invitational Friday, successfully defending its title on the St. Agnes Athletics Field.
Ryan Teel claimed the 6,000-meter individual title with a time of 20 minutes, 19 seconds, giving him an 11-second cushion on fellow Aggie Juan Uribe who placed second.
Close behind Teel were Aggies Christian Farris (20:31) and Colin Stoeber (20:40) coming in at third and fourth place. Their performances helped the Aggies claim the team title with 35 points and a 10-point win over on the host Huskies.
Completing the men’s team title were runners Aaron Murray (21:21), Brett Schmit (22:05), Julian Castellano (22:35) and Bobby Zeller (22:38).
The Aggie women came up short of the victory with 38 points, claiming second place on the 5,000-meter course between Baylor and Houston Baptist. The women’s top runner was Haley Deakins in fifth place, posting a time of 20 minutes, 28 seconds. Tailing a second behind her was Katie Pia.
Earning places eight through 12 in the women’s race were runners Johanna Galloway, Melanie Enriquez, Laura Craig, Ashley Chamberlain and Rachel Williams, all finishing within 17 seconds of each other.
Also competing for the A&M women were Lauren Fontana (16th, 21:09), Shelby McNeel (20th, 21:21), Devin Norton (22nd, 21:24), Kelsey Persyn (28th, 21:44) and Emily Willingham (30th, 22:14).
The Aggies will next compete at the Wisconsin Adidas Invitational Friday in Madison, Wis.