Aggies dominate in diving to advance to NCAA Championships

Photo by Photo by Paul Burke

Senior Kurtis Mathews won the 1-meter and 3-meter diving events for the Aggies in the 2022 NCAA Zone D Diving Championships.

The Texas A&M men’s and women’s swimming teams competed in the NCAA Zone D Diving Championships from March 7-9 at the Soderholm Family Aquatic Center in Wisconsin. The Aggies were in steep competition as they competed against several other teams including Louisiana State University, Texas Christian University and The University of Texas.
The Aggies showed no fear as they brought their best to the competition taking first place in three of the events.
In the men’s 1-meter dive event, senior Kurtis Mathews dominated, outscoring 18 other competitors to win first place. Freshman Allen Bottego III complemented Mathews’ victory by taking first place in the men’s platform dive event with a total score of 742.10.
Mathews also finished at the top in the men’s 3-meter dive event, taking second place with a total score of 811.65.
In the women’s platform dive event, junior Alyssa Clairmont led the way, finishing strong on the boards in first place with a total score of 611.50. Clairmont also finished in the top 10 in the women’s 3-meter dive event, taking eighth place overall.
Senior Aimee Wilson finished in the top 10 in the women’s 1-meter dive event, placing ninth overall with a total score of 593.00. Senior Chloe Ceyanes followed right behind Wilson to take 10th place in the event with a total score of 590.30.
The maroon and white will be well represented in the NCAA Championships with a total of seven divers qualifying to compete in the competition. The women’s team will include Wilson, Clairmont and Ceyanes. While the men’s team includes Mathews, Bottego, sophomore Victor Povzner and junior Tony Stewart.
Both A&M teams will be back in action at the NCAA Championships this month. The women look to compete March 16-19 and the men will compete March 23-26 in Atlanta.