Aggies drop 2-1 series decision to Oklahoma

The Aggie Softball Complex was full on Friday and Saturday, as No. 14 Texas A&M (29-13, 9-5 Big 12) hosted sixth-ranked Oklahoma (35-6, 11-3 Big 12). The Aggies bounced back in the final game after dropping the first two games of the series.
Im proud of the way we came back, head coach Jo Evans said. I was not pleased with our effort in the first game. You cant come out flat and think you are going to win. We came out and gave exactly what we were supposed to give in the second game.
The first game was even throughout five innings, as each team scored one run. Despite keeping it close, the Sooner offense exploded in the final two innings.
Senior catcher Jessica Shults posted four RBIs in the last two innings of the game off two different home runs, as OU picked up the victory 6-1.
Senior Lindsey Sisk started in the circle for the Aggies in the first game on Saturday. After beginning the game with a strikeout, the next three Oklahoma Sooners hit a single, double, and Keilani Ricketts home run to jump out to the early 3-0 lead.
Michelle Gascoigne, another left-hander from the OU bullpen, threw for the Sooners.
Meagan May singled up the middle in the bottom of the first but was left stranded. Sisk also hit a bloop single to center field in the second, but the Aggies could not capitalize.
Ainsley came in for relief in the fourth inning and gave up only one run in four innings of work. Ricketts launched her second home run of the day in the fifth inning, this time over the right field fence.
In the bottom of the seventh, Sisk tried to start a rally with a two-run shot to center field. Unfortunately, it would be too little too late for the Aggies as they dropped their second game of the weekend 5-2.
In a rematch of day one, Ricketts and Dumezich returned to the circle for their respective teams in the second game of Saturdays doubleheader. After a leadoff single for the Sooners, Dumezich sat down the side to strand Chamberlain at third.
Despite both teams getting several hits, neither team was able to plate a runner until the fifth inning.
Senior Kelsea Orsak began the fifth inning with a single up the middle. Natalie Villareal then laid down a bunt single to advance Orsak and place herself on first.
A fielders choice and a hit-by-pitch loaded the bases for Morgan. The sophomore came through and flew to right field for a single, allowing all three runners to score.
I was really happy that I have gotten a chance to start hitting again and start producing, Morgan said. Against Keilani, I just wanted to touch it because she pitches it fast enough. Luckily both times in big situations it found a hole. I just looked down and ran to first and then I saw everyone running home so I was pretty excited.
The momentum carried into the sixth inning, when Dumezich gave herself an even bigger cushion by hitting a home run over the wall in left field.
Of course Ricketts is a great pitcher and she is going to get her outs, Evans said. But we have to be mature enough to know that it may take us a little while to score. We showed that in this game.
Dumezich finished the game with nine strikeouts and six hits. Mel was able to scatter the hits perfectly to keep the Sooners scoreless.
I felt more relaxed today, Dumezich said. I tried to keep the ball down and place it a little differently and just focus on what I needed to do to make sure I didnt let the ball get up in the zone.
Next up for the Aggies is a trip to Lubbock to take on Texas Tech. The Aggies will play the Red Raiders in a doubleheader on Tuesday and a finish with a single game on Wednesday.