Aggies drop fourth-straight in 74-73 heartbreaker at No. 21 Kentucky

Photo by Photo by Cassie Stricker

Junior forward DJ Hogg finished with 12 points for the Aggies.

Texas A&M had a chance to win it, but could not convert, as J.J. Caldwell’s down court pass sailed past Tyler Davis – who appeared to be held by Kentucky’s Wenyen Gabriel – and out of bounds as the clock expired, sealing the No. 21 Wildcats’ 74-73 win Tuesday night at Rupp Arena.
It marked the fourth-straight loss for the Aggies (11-5, 0-4 SEC), and their second-straight by one point.
With just under three minutes to go, A&M still held a two-point advantage in a game that featured 14 ties and 12 lead changes. But a 7-0 run from Kentucky, aided by back-to-back turnovers from the Aggies and four missed A&M free throws allowed the Wildcats to claim a five-point lead that proved to be insurmountable.
Free throws hurt A&M for the second-straight contest, as the Aggies were just 14-of-24 at the line, while Kentucky was 22-of-34.
For the first time in nearly a month, the Aggies were nearly at full strength, only missing guard Duane Wilson (knee). Guard Admon Gilder saw action for the first time in five games after tearing his meniscus, and Robert Williams returned to the court after being sidelined all last week with a virus.
Gilder played at his usual level, scoring 14 points after logging a remarkable 35 minutes. Davis led the way with 21 points.
Prior to tip-off, Kentucky announced it would be without starting guard Quade Green. In place of Green was Shai Gilgeous-Alexander, who scored 16 points in just his third career start.
By no means was the first half good for A&M, yet the Aggies found themselves down just two 37-35 at the half.
Both sides continued to trade baskets in the opening minutes leading to an 18-18 draw with 11:18 to go. Each team would then have extended stretches with no made field goals though. The Aggies went over six minutes between baskets, while the Wildcats had an over-seven minute drought themselves.
Foul trouble on both sides played a key role in the stalemate, however. Five Aggies committed two fouls in the opening 20 minutes, as Kentucky was 11-of-14 from the line in the period. The Wildcats played the majority of the first half without its two leading scorers, Knox and Diallo, who combined for 10 points in 21 minutes.
Texas A&M returns to action this Saturday when it finishes the second leg of a week-long road trip at Tennessee. Tip-off is slated for 5 p.m. and the game will be televised on SEC Network.