Aggies drop to 0-5 in SEC play with 17-3 loss to Vanderbilt

Photo by Photo by: C. Morgan Engel

Sophomore infielder George Janca. 

The Texas A&M baseball team was on the receiving end of a lopsided 17-3 defeat against Vanderbilt in Nashville on Saturday afternoon.
Vanderbilt’s offense was firing on all cylinders and enabled the team to jump out to a 7-0 lead in the bottom of the second inning. Before the inning was over, the Commodores hit two doubles, a triple and a home run. Reed Hayes drove in two runners with a two-run triple and Julian Infante capped off the inning with a two-run home run.
The Commodores (16-8, 3-2 SEC) would add four more runs in the third thanks to two-run home runs from Jeren Kendall and Will Toffey, extending the lead to 11-0. Vandy added five more runs in the fourth and finished off its impressive offense output with a run in the fifth.
Between Hayes, Toffey and Infante, the trio drove in 10 of the Commodores’ 17 runs.

Stephen Kolek (1-1) started for A&M (15-9, 0-5 SEC) and struggled. Kolek threw two and two thirds innings, giving up eight hits and 10 runs, ultimately earning the loss.
The arms that followed Kolek were Lee May Gonzalez, Kyle Richardson and Landon Miner.
Gonzalez pitched the final out of the third inning, but not before allowing three runs to cross the plate. Richardson navigated through the fifth — giving up three runs, with one of them earned. Miner would finish off the game throwing four innings and surrendering one run.
Patrick Raby (4-2) got the ball for Vandy and threw seven scoreless innings, allowing three hits and two walks, while striking out six on the way to a victory.
A couple of bright spots for the A&M offense were George Janca and Logan Foster as they both had two-hit days.
Trailing 17-0 heading into the top of the ninth, Baine Schoenvogel and Jorge Gutierrez drew walks before Janca launched a three-run homer to left field. Janca finished the day with two hits and three RBI and Foster was two-for-two with a double.
With the loss, the maroon and white move to 0-5 in conference play.
The Aggies will try to avoid a series sweep in the finale on Sunday. First pitch is set for 3 p.m. and can be seen on the SEC Network.