Aggies earn invitational win with tiebreaker, despite loss

Photo by Photo by Jesse Everett

Texas A&m won the Aggie Invitational on set differential after three teams tied at 2-1.

The Aggie volleyball team earned a tournament win after victories over Pepperdine and Missouri State at the Texas A&M Invitation in Reed Arena on Thursday and Friday.
Although the Aggies fell short in the last game of the tournament, finalizing their score at 2-1 for tournament play, they came out with the overall win, beating out opponents Pepperdine and MSU by winning two more total sets than the two teams. 
The Maroon and White started their run strong, defeating Pepperdine 3-0 on day one of the invitational.
The Aggies showed tremendous athletic ability and potential on the court during the Pepperdine game, and again in their 3-0 victory over Nicholls State.
Missouri State saw their first win of the tournament on Thursday, dominating Nicholls State 3-0. Pepperdine made adjustments after their fall to A&M and went on to defeat both MSU and Nicholls State on Friday with a final of 3-0.
The Aggies kept their winning momentum as they took on Nicholls, opening up day two of the tournament claiming their 2-0 streak in the bracket. Freshman outside hitter Samantha Sanders racked up 7 kills, 2 aces and 2 blocks in the match-up while junior Maddie Douglas and sophomores Makenna Patterson and Morgan Davis each claimed 7 kills.
Heading into their last game of the tournament, the Aggies started off dominating MSU and won the first set of the game. MSU made some adjustments following the loss and took over the second set. The Bears continued to give the Aggies a hard time. Both teams fought to the finish, with the Bears taking the win for sets 2 and 4, while the Aggies claimed sets 1 and 3.
In a nail-biting match five, the Aggies did not go down without fight to the finish, falling just 3 points short to the Bears. Brookah Palmer, junior A&M outside hitter, brought one of her best games for the Maroon and White. Palmer led the the team in kills, with 24, and points, racking up 26 total for the Aggies.
The Aggies will head to Oklahoma on Friday, Sept. 14 to compete in the Oklahoma Invitational.