Texas A&M infielder Rylen Wiggins (2) reacts during Texas A&M’s game against Texas at the Austin Super Regional at Red and Charline McCombs Field in Austin, Texas, on Sunday, May 26, 2024. (CJ Smith/The Battalion)
Aggies’ season ends with heartbreaking loss to Longhorns

Sharper play in the sixth innings of Texas A&M softball’s NCAA Super Regional series with No. 1 Texas may have been the difference between...

Aggies fall to high-powered Ducks in softball

Tanner Garza — THE BATTALION
Senior pitcher Rachel Fox pitches against Oregon at Wednesday’s game in College Station.
Tanner Garza — THE BATTALION Senior pitcher Rachel Fox pitches against Oregon at Wednesday’s game in College Station.

The highest-ranked team the Aggies have hosted in 10 years proved too much Wednesday as they fell 5-1 to No. 2 Oregon.
The No. 22 Texas A&M softball team (7-4) fell in its first midweek game of the season.
Oregon kicked off the scoring in the second inning with a solo shot from second baseman Danica Mercado off senior Rachel Fox in the second inning. The Aggies attempted to rally in the bottom half of the inning with runners on first and second with one out, but sophomore Celena Massey struck out to end the inning.
A&M finally tied the game with a solo shot of its own from hot-hitting freshman Tori Vidales clearing the centerfield wall with ease. The game continued to go back and forth until the seventh inning when the Ducks put the game away with a trio of RBI singles to extend the lead to 5-1, putting the game out of reach.
Oregon freshman Jenna Lilley had a pair of RBIs and junior pitcher Cheridan Hawkins led the Ducks from the mound, throwing a complete game to stifle the Aggie offense.
The Aggies are back in action this weekend competing at the Mary Nutter Classic in Cathedral City, Calif.