Aggies head to Nashville in search of fifth straight victory

Courtney+Walker
Photo by Photo by: Morgan Engel
Courtney Walker

Following a 68-54 win over LSU on Thursday night, the No. 12 Texas A&M women’s basketball team will travel to Nashville, Tennessee to take on the Vanderbilt Commodores in SEC play.

The Aggies (19-7, 9-4 SEC) will look to continue their winning streak against the Commodores and win their fifth straight game. With a win they can take a strong grasp of the second spot in the SEC standings.

Vanderbilt (15-11, 4-9 SEC) is heading home following a loss to Florida and will take on A&M for the first time this season. The Commodores have lost six straight and have yet to win a game in February.

Sophomore guard Christa Reed leads the Commodores in scoring with 10.7 points per outing and junior guard Minta Spears leads the team in assists tallying 4.2 per game.

Senior Courtney Walker leads the Aggies and the entire SEC in scoring averaging 18.3 points per game. She also averages 5.7 boards which is tied for the team lead with Anriel Howard and 2.6 assists per outing. The 5-foot-8 guard is shooting the ball well this season with a 49.7 percent field goal percentage.

Jordan Jones leads the Aggies and SEC in assists with 5.5 per game. The senior guard has dished out 131 assists on the season which is second in the SEC despite missing action due to injuries this season.

With the season nearing an end, the Aggies will look to ride the hot hand in Williams. Over the past three games, she has scored in double-digits and will look to do so against Vanderbilt. She is second on the team in scoring with 12.7 points per game.

Williams said that the Aggies shouldn’t take the Commodores for granted.

“We’re very confident but we can’t get too big-headed,” Williams said. “I haven’t won at Vanderbilt since I’ve been here so I know that’s a tough road game so we have to be as focused as ever.”

The maroon and white are 4-3 on the road this season and head into Memorial Gym where Vanderbilt is 10-4.

Tip-off is scheduled for 4 p.m. Sunday and the game will be broadcasted by the SEC Network.