Aggies hope to continue hot hitting against SFA Tuesday SFA

Photo By: Vanessa Pena
Photo By: Vanessa Pena

After coming up with 41 runs in their first three games, the Aggies are ready to go at it again.
The No. 17 Texas A&M baseball team (3-0) will keep its hot bats at Blue Bell Park as it hosts Stephen F. Austin (1-2) on Tuesday.
The Aggies are coming off a dominating series against Holy Cross in which their bats and pitching were on full display.
Sophomore third baseman Ronnie Gideon started the season on fire, belting two home runs and compiling 11 RBIs against the Crusaders.
Senior shortstop Blake Allemand and sophomore right fielder Nick Banks have been stalwarts defensively, with Allemand making a highlight-reel play in the hole between short and third on Sunday.
The Aggies’ pitching has also gotten off to a solid start, with the only blemish being the 11-run output the Crusaders had on Saturday. Head coach Rob Childress was especially impressed with the performance of junior Matt Kent on Sunday.
“I thought our pitching all in all as a whole was the best its been all weekend long,” Childress said. “We started with Matt Kent and he’s a guy you just put the radar gun down and appreciate what he’s capable of doing out there. I thought he had a great start for us. He made a couple of mistakes in the first inning but he didn’t let that get to him. He kept his composure and only gave up one then cruised after that.”
Kent said it is important for the club to get a strong start.
“Coming out 3-0 is great for momentum going into the season,” Kent said. “This ends the week perfectly, just like we wanted it. Now we are on to SFA.”
The Lumberjacks will be coming to Olsen Field with four consecutive games under their belt with Washington State being their final opponent before arriving in Aggieland. SFA’s lineup is headlined by sophomore Nick Ross, who led the Lumberjacks by going 3-for-5 with a double and two RBI in an 18-9 loss to Texas-Arlington.
First pitch is scheduled for 6:30 p.m.