Aggies host UTSA, North Texas ahead of weekend series

Photo by Tim Lai

The Aggies have won five out of their last six games.

The Texas A&M softball team will continue its home stand with two midweek games against UTSA on Tuesday and North Texas on Wednesday.

The No. 23 Aggies (29-10, 7-5 SEC) are riding high after their series victory against Georgia Tech this past weekend, winning the rubber match on Sunday 11-0 in five innings. The Aggie starters have been effective in this stretch at home, carrying the club to a 4-1 record so far. Junior Katie Marks has picked up her play in the circle, shutting out the Yellow Jackets in her last appearance and holding a 10-1 record on the season.

The Aggies and head coach Jo Evans have been placing a heightened awareness on their defense since they failed to produce in Tuscaloosa two weeks ago. Evans praised freshman Tori Vidales on her incremental improvement defensively at the hot corner this season.

“She is doing such a good job right now moving her feet, being quick and making plays in the 5-6 hole,” Evans said. “Before some of those were getting through but they’re not now. She’s really buckled down and is doing a great job.”

Evans also commented on the play of senior leadoff hitter Brittany Clopton, who has been a catalyst for the Aggie offense all season.

“I’m happy for her,” Evans said. “No one fights harder and works harder than Brittany and it’s great to see her hard work paying off. She did a great job this weekend getting herself on base.”

UTSA (26-11, 8-3 C-USA) boasts a five-game winning streak with sweeps of Middle Tennessee and a doubleheader sweep of Lamar. The Roadrunners have bats in their lineup that could give senior Rachel Fox and the rest of the Aggie pitching staff fits. Randee Crawford leads the team in homers with 13 and RBIs with 48. Leadoff hitter Jade Smith leads the club with a .425 batting average.

North Texas (14-21, 6-8 C-USA) will most likely start Stacey Underwood at pitcher against the Aggies. Underwood holds a 6-4 record on the season with an ERA of 3.91, both best on the team. Junior Taylor Schoblocher spearheads the Mean Green attack with a .422 batting average and a slugging percentage of .814.
First pitch on Tuesday against UTSA and Wednesday against North Texas is scheduled for 6:30 p.m.

• Rachel Fox boasts a 16-7 record in pitching for the Aggies.

Photo by Tim Lai
  • Outfielder Alex Masek fielding a fly ball.

Photo by Photo by Valerie Gunchick