Aggies keep streak alive, down Bearkats 8-3

Windshields shattered as Texas A&M junior Cassie Tysarczyk launched a three-run homerun over the fence to hit a pick-up truck mid drive.
The No. 5 Texas A&M softball team remained undefeated as they improved their record to 18-0 after defeating the Sam Houston State Bearcats on Wednesday 8-3 at the Texas A&M Softball Complex.
This was the Aggies second time facing the Bearcats after defeating them on their home field 8-0 earlier this month.
Both teams were scoreless at the end of the first two innings, but the Aggies quickly took control in the third inning. The Aggies went on to score 5 runs during that stretch to put them up 5-0.
Senior pitcher and USA Softball National Player of the Week Mel Dumezich kept the Bearcats scoreless for 4 straight innings. The Aggies then made a pitching change from Dumezich to sophomore pitcher Lauren Ainsley, who gave up two runs in the first inning she pitched making the score 5-2.
Texas A&M head softball coach Jo Evans said she thought it would be a five inning game run rule win.
Typically when we get a 5 run lead its going to be a 5 inning game. But the Bearcats really fought hard, came back, and got some good looks. They hit Ainsley pretty hard but I was pleased with the way she settled in and took care of business.
With the bases loaded in the sixth inning, freshman Breanna Dozier came out as a pinch hitter to try and give the Aggies another score. Dozier hit the ball through the left side to send the third base runner home, allowing A&M a decisive 7-3 lead.
The Aggies would go on to score three runs against the Bearcats one run in the sixth inning to put them at a secure 8-3 lead going into the final box.
The Bearcats failed to get another run and ultimately fell to A&M by a score of 8-3.
Junior bioenvironmental science major Mariah Burgess said she is excited about softball this year.
Im really excited about how the season has started, Burgess said. It made me forget what it feels like to lose considering we need improvement in mens basketball. It is reminiscent of this past football season simply because I would like for us to have the best record possible in all sports.