Texas A&M pitcher Ryan Prager (18) reacts during Texas A&M’s game against Arkansas at Olsen Field on Thursday, May 16, 2024. (CJ Smith/The Battalion)
No. 5 Aggies outlast No. 3 Razorbacks in 11-inning pitchers duel

If you’re a fan of high-scoring baseball, Thursday’s matchup between No. 5 Texas A&M and No. 3 Arkansas probably wasn’t for you. But...

Aggies relinquish early Big Green fire again in second win of weekend

For the second night in a row the Dartmouth Big Green jumped out to an early lead – this time on a solo home run in the third. Unlike Friday, the Texas A&M baseball team didn’t wait for late-inning heroics; opting instead for the less dramatic approach on Saturday en route to an 8-1 win.
Junior pitcher Grayson Long (2-0, 3.45 ERA) got the start on a cold and foggy afternoon in College Station, going six innings and allowing five hits, one earned run, walking two and striking out four.
“We have the best offense in the country right now,” Long said. “It’s awesome being at the park and watching those guys do what they do. To have the defense behind me that I do – it’s incredible.”
The Aggies responded to the early home run by Dartmouth with a three-run fourth inning. The first three hitters each reached base in a unique way – Mitchell Nau by a hit-by-pitch, G.R. Hinsley on catcher’s interference and Nick Banks on a bunt single. Aggie designated hitter Logan Taylor tallied one of his two hits on the afternoon to drive in Nau. Then Hunter Melton, whose two-run blast Friday night sparked the Aggie comeback, added another two RBI with a single back up the middle, plating Hinsley and Banks.
Melton continued his weekend hot streak, going 3-for-4 with a double and two singles. With two hits Friday, Melton is now 5-for-6 so far in this series. Saturday was his second start and fourth game played of the season.
“I haven’t had my opportunity the first couple of games, but I’ve been cheering on our team and doing whatever it takes for the team to win,” Melton said. “I’ve just been staying focused and keeping your composure for when your name is called.”
Preseason All-American Nick Banks added his first home run of the season with a two-run opposite field shot in the bottom of the seventh. That bomb gave Banks his 9th and 10th RBI of the season.
Senior Jason Freeman took care of the seventh inning in relief of Long and then handed the reigns over to junior lefty Ty Schlottmann. Schlottmann, already making his eighth appearance of the young season, worked a 1-2-3 eighth.
The Aggies went on to pad their lead in the bottom of the eighth, scoring three more runs. Blake Allemand ripped a one-out double to right field that scored Melton. Two pitches later, Patrick McLendon grounded out to second, but picked up an RBI as Nick Choruby crossed the plate. Junior catcher Michael Barash rounded out the scoring with an RBI single that brought home Allemand.
Sophomore Mark Ecker was brought in to close out the game for head coach Rob Childress. Ecker retired Dartmouth in order to secure the win.
“They scored first and we were able to answer back and have a big inning in the fourth and score three,” Childress said. “But the game was still in the balance until the later innings. In the seventh and eighth, we were able to extend the lead with some great at-bats. I’m really proud of us. I felt like it’s our most complete game of the year.”
No. 23 A&M (11-0) will look to complete its sweep of Dartmouth (0-2) Sunday afternoon. Junior southpaw Matt Kent (2-0, 1.32 ERA) will face off against Big Green senior Adam Frank, who is making his first start of the season. First pitch is set for 12:35 p.m. at Olsen Field.