Texas A&M players watch fireworks after Texas A&M’s game against Ole Miss on Friday, April 19, 2024 at Davis Diamond. (Hannah Harrison/The Battalion)
The sun will come out
The sun will come out
Incoming journalism professors Mariano Castillo and Flora Charner sit with former student and Battalion staff member Ken Sury at the FJSA Hall of Fame reception ceremony held in the J. Wayne Stark Galleries in the Memorial Student Center on Friday, April 19, 2024. (Hannah Harrison/The Battalion)
A&M welcomes new journalism professors from CNN, Dallas Morning News
Ana Renfroe and Stacy Cox April 19, 2024

At a ceremony honoring Aggie journalists, Texas A&M announced it will welcome three new journalism professors in the fall. New hires will...

LSU QB Jayden Daniels (5) runs with the ball during A&Ms game against LSU at Kyle Field on Saturday, Nov. 26, 2022. (Cameron Johnson/The Battalion)
2024 NFL Draft: Ranking every first-round graded quarterback
Mathias Cubillan, Sports Writer • April 21, 2024

As the 2024 NFL Draft in Detroit is closing in, a microscope gets placed on the prospects who play the sport’s most valuable position. Featuring...

The sun will come out
Members of the 2023-2024 Aggie Muster Committee pose outside the Jack K. Williams Administration Building. (Photo courtesy of Aggie Muster Committee)
Orchestrating a century-old tradition
Sydnei Miles, Head Life & Arts Editor • April 18, 2024

As Muster approaches, the Aggie Muster Committee works to organize a now century-old tradition. These students “coordinate every facet” of...

(Graphic by Ethan Mattson/The Battalion)
Opinion: ‘Fake Money,’ real change
Eddie Phillips, Opinion Writer • April 19, 2024

Us Aggies live privileged existences: companies beg us to take on tens of thousands in loans.  I know this may sound contradictory, but the...

Aggies roll Rebels

A&M women’s tennis defeats Ole Miss, 6-1
Photo by Connor May
Sophomore Mia Kupres serves the ball at Texas A&M’s match against Florida on Sunday, March 3, 2024, at the Mitchell Tennis Center. (© Connor May/The Battalion)

The No. 13 Texas A&M women’s tennis team took on No. 42 Ole Miss on Sunday, March 10 in Oxford, Mississippi. Coming off a win against Mississippi State, the Aggies attempted to win their second consecutive match.

Starting off doubles play, the Aggie duo of sophomore Nicole Khirin and fifth-year Sydney Fitch defeated the Rebel duo of senior Lucie Devier and freshman Andrea Nova, 6-4.

The Ole Miss junior pair of Anaelle Leclercq and Ludmila Kareisova stormed back and defeated A&M freshman Lucciana Perez and junior Jeanette Mireles, 6-3.

With the score tied up, the Aggie duo of sophomore Mia Kupres and junior Mary Stoiana performed under pressure, defeating the Rebels’ upper-class duo of junior Ava Harastar and senior Briana Crowley, 6-4.

After the Maroon and White captured the first point in doubles, it was clear they had momentum heading into singles.

Starting off the singles matches, Kupres demonstrated incredible skill in her game as she defeated Crowley in a quick two-set match, 6-2, 6-2.

Continuing on with singles play, Stoiana proved why she is the No. 1 ranked singles player, defeating the Rebels’ Kareisova in a surprisingly quick two-set match, 6-1, 6-2.

Securing the fourth point and the victory for the Aggies, Mireles defeated Rebel sophomore Emma Kette in a steady two-set match, 6-4, 6-2.

Finishing out the matches on Court 2, Khirin took care of business as she defeated Ole Miss junior Ava Harastar in a competitive three-set match, 2-6, 6-0, 6-3.

Continuing on Court 5, the Aggies’ sophomore Daria Smetannikov defeated the Rebels’ junior Rachel Kryzal in a long three-set match, 6-4, 0-6, 6-3.

Wrapping up singles play on Court 4 the Rebels handed the Aggies their only loss of the day as Leclercq defeated Perez, 7-5, 1-6, 6-4.

All in all, the Aggies showed why they are the No. 13 team in the country. The Maroon and White improve their record to 12-5 and look to improve more as they take on the Georgia Bulldogs on Friday, March 15 in Athens, Georgia.