Aggies run rule Horns

Coming off a season sweep of Baylor that concluded on Tuesday, the No. 16 Aggie softball team blanked No. 7 Texas, 9-0, at the Aggie Softball Complex on Thursday night.
Its Texas, they can hit the ball, head coach Jo Evans said. They can hit the long ball. All it takes is one spark for them, and they will make you pay for it. It was really great to see our kids keep pushing and putting the pressure on them.
Junior Mel Dumezich got the start for the Aggies (33-14, 13-6 Big 12), while junior Kim Bruins threw for the Longhorns (37-8, 11-6 Big 12).
The second inning began with a single from sophomore Cassie Tysarczyk and a walk to Dumezich. With no outs and two on, sophomore Amber Garza hit a bomb over the left-center fence to plate three runs in her second game back from injury.
Im feeling really good right now, Garza said. It feels good to be back and it feels amazing that I hit two home runs tonight. It is awesome that we beat Texas how we did and were ready to go to Austin and do the same thing.
Sophomore Nicole Morgan complemented Garzas three-run shot as she hit a solo homer to give the Aggies a 4-0 lead early.
The Longhorns threatened to score in the top of the third inning, but a base running error on Taylor Hoagland prevented any runs and ended the inning.
Texas then put runners on first and third in the fourth inning, only to be held after sophomore Mandy Ogle tagged a ball that hit the base runner on first.
Tysarczyk led off in the bottom of the sixth with a double off the top of the center field wall. Dumezich followed with her second walk of the day before Garza sent her second three-run shot of the night over the fence in nearly the same spot as her first one.
After bringing in a new pitcher who walked the next batter, Morgan, junior Brittany Walker hit her second career home run over the right field fence to end the game with a 9-0 run rule.
I just thought it was really funny, Walker said. I havent been doing anything different at the plate, and I just thought it was so funny that it happened on Tuesday and then today, too.
Despite winning the first game of the series, Evans said that the team understands how talented Texas is as the teams head to Austin for the remaining two games.
They have beaten a lot of really great teams, and that wasnt by accident, Evans said. Im going to let our kids enjoy this one tonight, and our staff. They are doing a great job.
People came early and they were loud, and we gave them something to cheer about. Im just really proud to be a Fightin Texas Aggie right now. Its a big win for us.