Neil Jhurani, Sports Writer • May 23, 2024

A warm, summer evening bestowed Hoover, Alabama on Wednesday night when the No. 4 Texas A&M Aggies faced the No. 15 Mississippi State Bulldogs...

Aggies see season cut short after a 2-0 loss against OU

This was the third consecutive year the Aggies landed in the Norman Regional. Unfortunately, this year’s result was no different than the previous two: a loss to Oklahoma in the Regional Final to end their season.
Over the span of two days, the Aggies dropped a 7-5 heart-breaker in the winners’ bracket against regional host Oklahoma, had to wait until Sunday because of inclement weather to complete a 5-0 victory against Lehigh only to drop the second game against Oklahoma 2-0 and end their 40-win season.
The Aggies (40-20) started Saturday off with a bang against No. 11 Oklahoma, with Tori Vidales hitting the first pitch of the game out of the park, adding to her incredible freshman season with her 19th homerun of the season.  The Sooners and Aggies continued to fight back-and-forth throughout the game with OU answering a Breanna Dozier solo homer with a pair of their own in the sixth inning to tie the game at 5.
Junior Katie Marks approached the circle looking to close the game in the bottom of the seventh, but the Sooners got a hold of a Marks’ offering to hit a walk-off two run homer to put the Aggies in the position of needing to win three consecutive games in order to reach the Super Regional. Head Coach Jo Evans spoke about the contest after the game. 
“It is really disappointing to drop that game,” Evans said. “This isn’t a situation where I am thinking, ‘well at least we were close.’ I don’t feel like that at all. I am upset that we didn’t win and we had our opportunity. And having said that, I am still proud of my ball club for the way we played and how hard we fought. We certainly had a chance to win that game.”
Needing to win three games, the Aggies made quick work of Lehigh, shutting them out 5-0 behind an impressive outing from Katie Marks. Marks threw her 10th complete game of 2015, allowing only three hits en route to her 13th win of the season.
The Aggies sent Rachel Fox to the circle for what ended up being the final time in her career. Fox kept the Aggies in the game until the end against the Sooners, allowing only two runs for the game. Evans said while Fox fought hard against the Sooners, he’s disappointed at the loss. 
“I thought Rachel Fox was terrific on the mound; she threw a great game today and yesterday,” Evans said. “Oklahoma has a potent offense and to keep them to ten hits and keep the ball in the yard, continue getting big outs which speaks volumes to her competitiveness and fight on the mound. I’m proud of our ball club. We’re really disappointed to come here and not win this regional, we certainly had a chance but just couldn’t get it done.”