Neil Jhurani, Sports Writer • May 23, 2024

A warm, summer evening bestowed Hoover, Alabama on Wednesday night when the No. 4 Texas A&M Aggies faced the No. 15 Mississippi State Bulldogs...

Aggies set to host NCAA Regional

Tim Lai

Grayson Long pitching during a game against South Carolina earlier this season.

For the 10th time in school history, the Aggies will host the NCAA Regional, which begins on Friday.

A&M is the one seed in the four team bracket, and will play in the second of two games on Friday afternoon. After the first game between Coastal Carolina and California, the Aggies draw Texas Southern in their first game of the weekend.

“I’m excited to be in a regional,” A&M head coach Rob Childress said. “One of 64 teams still competing for a chance to get to Omaha. I’m excited that our guys earned the opportunity to be here at Olsen Field at Blue Bell Park and to be in our ninth straight regional. That’s something special.”

Texas Southern (31-17) comes in after winning the SWAC Tournament to punch an automatic bid to the NCAA Championships, and have won six of their last seven contests. The Tigers have solid hitting throughout the lineup, with five players posting 30 or more RBI this year. Four Tiger hitters have at least four home runs, led by Zach Weltz with five, and was recently named the SWAC Tournament MVP.

The Aggies (45-11) enter the weekend after falling to Vanderbilt in the semifinals of the SEC Tournament, but managing a 2-1 record over the weekend. A&M’s top hitter coming in is Mitchell Nau, who is batting .376 this year. Blake Allemand has been the senior leader, as he hit three home runs during the SEC Tournament as well.

A&M will likely send Grayson Long to the mound on Friday night. Long has been the ace for A&M this season, compiling a 2.62 ERA with 100 strikeouts.

“Everyone here thinks we deserve a national seed,” said Long. “But we are very lucky to have the regional here at Olsen Field and play in front of a home crowd.”

It is the 15th time A&M and Texas Southern will get together on the diamond, and the second time ever they will face off in the postseason. The Aggies are 14-0 all-time against the Tigers. First pitch is set for 6:00 p.m. at Olsen Field.

• Nick Banks safety slides back to first base against South Carolina on May 9th.

Tim Lai