Aggies set to take on rival Bears

Tanner Garza — THE BATTALION

Forward Jalen Jones makes a move to the basket at the A&M home game against Arizona State on Saturday.

The Texas A&M men’s basketball team returns to the hardwood Tuesday in a nationally televised contest versus old conference foe Baylor.
The two schools, whose basketball arenas are separated by 88 miles, have played each other 205 times in the last century in what has become known as the Battle of the Brazos.
Texas A&M (6-1) holds the all-time series lead against Baylor (7-1) with a 127-78 record, but the Bears have won the last five contests, including a 63-60 defeat of Texas A&M in College Station in 2012, when the two last met.
The Bears, led by head coach Scott Drew who has the most wins in program history, are looking to replicate success from a 2013-14 campaign that saw them advance to the Sweet 16 of the NCAA tournament.
Statistical leaders for the Bears includejunior forwards Rico Gathers, who averages nearly a double-double per game with nine points and 10.3 rebounds, and Taurean Prince, who averages 13.7 points per game.
A victory for the Aggies would move Texas A&M to 3-1 on the season against 2014 NCAA tournament teams. The Aggies have already beaten New Mexico and Arizona State.
Texas A&M will lean on the play of senior guard Alex Caruso, whose 23 points, six rebounds, six assists and six steals Saturday lifted the Aggies over the Sun Devils, who led by as many as 13 points in the second half.
Caruso, who needs six more steals to become No. 7 in A&M history in the category, was recently named to the watch list for the Bob Cousy Award, which recognizes the top male point guard in college basketball and was given to Shabazz Napier from the University of Connecticut in 2014. Acie Law IV won the award for Texas A&M in 2007 after averaging 18.1 points and five steals per game for the Aggies.
The 206th edition of the rivalry will tip at 8 p.m. Tuesday on ESPN2 at the Ferrell Center in Waco, Texas.