Aggies successful against Vanderbilt

The No. 10 Texas A&M Aggies scored six goals on 35 shots Friday evening, logging a 6-2 victory over the Vanderbilt Commodores.
It took under four minutes for Janae Cousineau to put the Aggies (11-2-1, 5-1 SEC) out in front as she was assisted by Kelley Monogue on the first goal of what would be A&M’s highest scoring match of the year.
Vanderbilt (5-8-1, 0-5-1 SEC) matched A&M quickly with a goal of their own in the ninth-minute. In the same minute of play, Aggie Annie Kunz scored the first of her two goals of the evening.
In minute 12, one of Allie Bailey’s four shots of the night found the back of the net, giving the Aggies a 3-1 advantage. Vanderbilt shortened the lead to 3-2 before the half, but the Aggie offense was much to handle after intermission.
Kunz resumed the scoring in minute 51 with an eight-yard strike and Monogue contributed a goal three minutes later followed by Shea Groom putting the final touch on A&M’s scoring for the night in minute 62.
With roughly six minutes remaining in the game, freshman McKayla Paulson was fouled on a slide tackle by Vanderbilt’s Lina Granados while in pursuit of the ball. Paulson was carted off the field with an apparent leg injury.
Returning to action for the first time since August, A&M Goalkeeper Jordan Day recorded two saves during the second half of play.
The Aggies recorded 21 shots on goal Friday night in Nashville, Tenn. compared to the Commodores’ four. Christiana Ogunsami recorded 15 saves on the night for Vanderbilt, a career-high.
A&M’s next match is set for 7 p.m. Friday at Ellis Field against the Auburn Tigers.