Texas A&M pitcher Evan Aschenbeck (53) throws a pitch during Texas A&M’s game against Florida at the NCAA Men’s College World Series semifinal at Charles Schwab Field in Omaha, Nebraska on Sunday, June 19, 2024. (Hannah Harrison/The Battalion)
Aggies defeat Gators 6-0 to advance to first College World Series finals
Kolton Becker, Sports Writer • June 20, 2024

There’s always a first for everything.  For the first time in program history, Texas A&M baseball is headed to the Men’s College...

Aggies take down Tigers in Baton Rouge

For the first time ever, Texas A&M went into the Pete Maravich Assembly Center and defeated the LSU Tigers 67-64 on Saturday in Baton Rouge, LA.
The Aggies (11-5, 2-2 SEC) found momentum early, going on a 9-2 run to open the first half. LSU (13-4, 2-2 SEC) responded with a 14-0 run of their own, entering the half with a 40-32 lead over Texas A&M.
The Tigers led for most of the second half and extended their lead to 11 points on two separate occasions.
With 22 seconds remaining, Danuel House made the go-ahead shot over LSU defender Jordan Mickey to give the Aggies their first lead since 9-7 in the first half.
On the ensuing possession, LSU guard Josh Gray drove and tried to make a pass out, but House intervened and stole the ball with 8 seconds remaining on the clock. LSU guard Keith Hornsby fouled House, sending him to the foul line where he converted both free throws. LSU had a chance to tie the game with a 3-point shot taken by Hornsby, but it didn’t fall, resulting in LSU’s first home loss of the season.
Texas A&M had two players score double figures in Danuel House and Jalen Jones— both with 18-point efforts in Saturday’s matchup. Along with his 18-point performance, Jones also pulled down a game-high nine rebounds.
Texas A&M found success in the paint against a much taller team, scoring 40 points down low and holding LSU to 30 points.
For LSU, forward Jordan Mickey closed in on a triple double, scoring 17 points, pulling down eight rebounds and blocking seven shots. Forward Jarell Martin also put in a 12-point effort and grabbed eight rebounds for the Tigers.
The last time Texas A&M won in Baton Rouge was Dec. 14, 1941. The Tigers entered Saturday’s matchup 9-0 at home this season.
The next time the Aggies hit the hardwood, they return to College Station for a matchup with the Missouri Tigers at 6 p.m. Wednesday at Reed Arena.