Aggies take win in exhibition matchup against TAMU-Commerce

With six players score in double figures, the Texas A&M men’s basketball team defeated Texas A&M-Commerce 80-71 in the Aggies first exhibition game Wednesday night at Reed Arena.
Head coach Billy Kennedy said that going into this game, he knew that his post players would be challenged on every possession for rebounds.
“I was concerned playing [TAMU-Commerce] going in,” said Kennedy. “People will say they’re not SEC or whatever, they’re good players. I was disappointed in our post guy’s defense and our lack of physicality in the paint. I was very pleased with the young guys, I wasn’t with the older guys.”
TAMU-Commerce held the lead for the majority of the game, mainly due to a rebound deficit from the first half. The Aggies closed the gap in the second half, but were still outrebounded 42-38 in the contest.
Junior forward Jalen Jones led all scorers with 16 points on 6-11 shooting. Jones is a transfer who came over from SMU midway through last season. This was Jones’ first career start with the Aggies.
Two veteran players for the Aggies —junior guard Alex Caruso and senior forward Kourtney Roberson— were on double-double watch Wednesday night. Caruso scored 12 points on 2-3 shooting and dished out eight assists while Roberson scored 10 points on 3-8 shooting and pulled down eight rebounds.
Roberson said that he felt they started off sluggish, but that they picked up the pace of play in the second half.
“We started off slow,” said Roberson. “It’s going to be a long season but we just started off slow. Once the second half started, we got things going a little bit. We have a couple young guys and when they do something bad, they just have to keep their head up. Other than that, we’re going to be alright.”
Sophomore forward Davonte Fitzgerald played in his first game back after a season-ending injury against LSU last season. Fitzgerald picked up right where he left off, scoring 13 points, nine of which came off of three-point shooting.
“It felt pretty good just being able to get back out on the court,” said Fitzgerald. “After last year, I don’t take it for granted. It’s always a great feeling to have another opportunity to play. I had to find a rhythm and just keep playing and practicing. I just have to keep rehabbing and getting stronger and I know everything will pan out.”
The next time the Aggies play, A&M starts off the regular season in a non-conference matchup against Northwestern State at 7 P.M. Friday, November 14 at Reed Arena.