Aggies tie for eighth at Schooner Fall Classic

Photo by Courtesy of Texas State Athletics

Senior Maddie Szeryk tied for fifth at 6-over-par at the Trinity Forest Invitational.

No. 15 Texas A&M women’s golf were in Oklahoma this weekend competing in their fifth consecutive Schooner Fall Classic. The Aggies finished in a tie for eighth with a total score 859 (+7).
The team started hot, carding a score of 278 (-6) in round one, their best single round score this season, and found themselves just one shot back of host Oklahoma heading into round two. Closing rounds of 292 (+8) and 289 (+5) saw the Aggies retreat down the leader board where they finished in a tie for eighth with Washington by tournament’s end.
Maddie Szeryk led the Aggies this weekend, finishing in a tie for ninth at 3-under par (210). The senior illustrated her power on the par 5’s where she tied for fourth in scoring for the week. This was the two-time All-American’s third straight top-10 finish, and the 24th of her career.
Finishing strong this weekend, freshman Amber Park ended her tournament in a tie for 16th at 1-under par (212). Park carded the team’s best final round score with a 1-under par 70 and was tied for seventh in par 4 scoring for the week.
Junior Chloe Velasco and 2017 SEC All-Freshman selection Courtney Dow both finished in a tie for 41st this weekend at 6-over par (219). Velasco was tied for fourth in par 4 scoring for the week, while Dow showed her consistency carding three straight rounds of 73.
Elizabeth Caldarelli rounded out the team with a total score of 20-over par (233) in a tie for 75th. In her first tournament for the Aggies, the freshman showed guts by fighting back, firing two rounds in the mid-70s after an opening round 82.
Texas A&M will be back in action on Oct. 22-24 when they will travel to San Antonio to compete in the Alamo Invitational.