Aggies to host NCAA Regional as No. 16 seed

Photo by Hannah Harrison
Texas A&M infielder Trinity Cannon (6) celebrates during Texas A&M’s game against Ole Miss on Friday, April 19, 2024 at Davis Diamond. (Hannah Harrison/The Battalion)

For the first time since 2018, Texas A&M will play host to postseason softball. The Aggies were named the nation’s No. 16 seed and a regional host on Sunday, May 12.

The Aggies will welcome Texas State, Penn State and Albany to Davis Diamond on Friday, May 17 to kick off the NCAA Bryan-College Station Regional. A&M will take on UAlbany at 5:30 p.m. following a 3 p.m. matchup between Texas State and Penn State.

It marks the Aggies’ 22nd consecutive season in the NCAA Tournament and 34th appearance all-time. A&M is 32-8 in regional games that it hosts.

After taking on the Bobcats twice in last season’s Austin Regional, the Maroon and White met Texas State on March 20, falling 4-3 in San Marcos.

The Bryan-College Station Regional is linked with the Austin Regional, hosted by No. 1 Texas, in the NCAA Tournament bracket. In 2023, the Aggies’ season came to a close at the hands of the Longhorns at McCombs Field.

A&M is 40-13 with a 15-9 record in the SEC. The Aggies fell in the conference tournament semifinals to Florida on May 10.